Advantages of Central Processing
Centralized processing has many advantages. For example.
1) Duplication of work is avoided: The type of work involved in processing is similar, So, instead of all the libraries repeating the same type of work in the different libraries, a central organisation can undertake to do the job. Duplication of the work is avoided in that way.
2) Economy: Since processing work is done on behalf of several libraries, there will be saving in money to be spent by individual libraries.
3) Uniformity: Since a central agency undertakes cataloguing, classification, etc., the technical processing will be based on uniform and standard practices. All the libraries that opt for the services display the same uniform practices as regards cataloguing, classification, etc.
4) Qualitative improvement: We can also achieve improvement in the quality of the technical services because a central agency can pool up the best manpower resources to improve the quality of performance.
5) Use of sophisticated equipment: Because of centralization the central agency can go in for sophisticated equipment Most of the individual libraries cannot afford the costs involved in purchasing sophisticated equipment.
6) Staff can be better utilised: Some of the members who would have been otherwise engaged in ordering, classification, cataloguing, etc., processes in the various individual libraries that opted for centralized processing will find free time from these jobs. Their services can therefore, be better utilised for other types of services like information services,
7) Promptness: Because of limitations and shortages, there may be delays in cataloguing and classification in libraries. But in the case of centralized services, user can expect promptness in service.
8) Scope for preparing union lists and catalogues: Through centralization of processing there is also scope for the preparation of union lists, union catalogues, etc. This is the data on the holdings of the different libraries opting for centralization can be easily collected now for such compilations.