Determine how much money would be saved per year

Assignment Help Civil Engineering
Reference no: EM131033126

The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that 190,000 barrels of oil would be saved per day if every household in the United States raised the thermostat setting in summer by 6°F (3.3°C). Assuming the average cooling season to be 120 days and the cost of oil to be $20/barrel, determine how much money would be saved per year.

Reference no: EM131033126


Write a Review


Civil Engineering Questions & Answers

  Calculate heat transfer in process with frictionless piston

A cylinder fitted with a frictionless piston contains 2 kg of superheated refrigerant R-134a vapor at 350 kPa, 100oC. The cylinder is now cooled so that the R-134a remains at constant pressure un- til it reaches a quality of 75%.

  Determine which of the following statements is true

The velocity and pressure are given at two points in the flow field. Assume that the two points lie in a horizontal plane and that the fluid density is uniform in the flow field and is equal to 1000 kg/m^3. assume steady flow. Then, given these data,..

  What is the pressure head

Water in a pip has a pressure of 22.1 lb/ft2. What is the pressure head?

  Determine the temperature of propane in the tank drops

determine the temperature of propane when the pressure in the tank drops to 1 atm. Also determine the total amount of heat transfer from the environment to the tank to vaporize the entire propane in the tank.

  Calculate what slope will produce at a canal cut in rock

A canal cut in rock (n= 0.030 is trapezoidal in section with the bottom width of 6.10m and side slopes of 1 on 1. The allowable average velocity is 0.76 m/s. What slope will produce 5.66 m^3/s

  Evaluate the spread and depth at the curb

Evaluate the spread and depth at the curb for a triangular gutter section carrying a design discharge of 0.09m3/s and having a uniform cross slope of 0.022m/m, Manning’s roughness of 0.015, and longitudinal slope of 0.014m/m.

  Power plant efficiency problem

A 600 MWe power plant has an efficiency of 36% with 15% of the waste heat being released to the atmosphere as stack heat and the other 85% taken away in the cooling water.

  Determine the horizontal force the wire exerts on the poles

A telephone wire 5 mm in diameter is suspended between telephone poles spaced 50 m apart. If the wind velocity is 100 km/h and the air is at 2 degrees C, 1 atm, determine the horizontal force (in N) the wire exerts on the poles.

  Calculate the density in g/cm^3 of ba

Calculate the density in g/cm^3 of Ba and its atomic radius.

  Find the capacity of the column with 1% reingforcement

A circulatr concrete column with a diameter of 8" has spiral reinforcing. Find the capacity of the column with 1% reingforcement. Find the capacity of the column with 8% reinforcement.

  Find the nominal flexural strength and the design strength

Consider a singly reinforced concrete beam with a base dimension of b= 12in and d=20in. Assume all bars are located in one row. Use Grade 60 steel and 5ksi concrete. Find the nominal flexural strength and the design strength for the following cases

  Determine the force arm oa exerts on the smooth cylinder

If arm OA rotates with a constant clockwise angular velocity of theta dot(first dirivatie)=1.5 rad/s. determine the force arm OA exerts on the smooth 4-lb cylinder B when theta=45 degrees.

Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd