Library catalogue is an important tool in a library and cataloguing is one of the most important activities of a library. In this Unit, you are introduced to a few basic ideas on library catalogues and cataloguing.
After reading this unit, you will be able to:
• define and describe a library catalogue;
• explain the objectives and functions of a library catalogue;
• distinguish a library catalogue from other library records;
• know about bibliographies and trade catalogues;
• explain the cataloguing process.