Stan Garner resides in illinois and promotes boxing matches for Supersports, INC. an Illinois corporation. Garner created the conect of "ages" promotion- a three fight series of boxing matches pitting an older fighter (george foreman) against a younger fighter. the conecpt had titles for each of the three fights, including "battle of the ages." Garner contacted Foreman and his manager, who both reside in Texas, to sell the idea, and they arranged a meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada. During the negotiations, Foremans manager signed a nondisclosure agreement prohibiting him for diclosing Garners promotional concepts unless the parties signed a contract. Nevertheless, after negotiations fell through, Foreman used Garner's 'battle of the ages" concept to promote a subsequent fight. Garner filed a suit agaianst Foreman and his manager in a federal district court located in Illinois, alleging breach of contract.
the questions are:
1. On what basis might the federal district court in Illinois exercise jurisdication in this case??
2. Does the federal district court have originial or appellate jurisdication?
3. Suppose that Garner had filed his action in an Illinois state court. could and illinois state court exercise personal jurisdiction over Foreman or his manager? why or why not?
4. Assume that Garner had filed his action in a Nevada state court. Would that court have had personal jurisdiction over Foreman or his manager. Explain.
1. I got subject matter jurisdiction. But i am pretty sure this isnt right. and not sure what I am looking at that may be wrong. or what I am supposed to be looking at.
2. I got Original jurisdiction because it will be the first time heard in a court.
3 & 4. I am lost. ANY help would be greatly appreciated