Reference no: EM131177126 , Length: word count:2500
Assignment: Download BHP Billiton Ltd 2015 annual financial report from the company website.
Task 1 (GLO 1, GLO 2 and GLO8)
- Review and assess related party transaction disclosure provided by BHP Billiton Ltd in its annual report. Evaluate how important for (potential) investors to receive/understand information about related party disclosure in order to properly assess the performance of BHP Billiton.
- Analyse and discuss the costs and benefits for firms disclosing related party transaction disclosure in the context of stakeholder theory, positive accounting theory, legitimize theory, and institutional theory and/or other relevant theories (whichever theory/theories you consider relevant for the analysis. You are not expected to cover all theories, but at least one theory and maximum two theories should be discussed and analysed).
Your arguments for tasks 1 have to be supported by relevant academic refereed articles (at least 6). You should provide evidence that you have carefully examined the literature, understand it, and have been able to summarise its essential content by integrating these articles into your own arguments and perspective.
The task 1 is to be completed as a Group assignment (maximum 3 people per group).The number of words is 2,500 excluding the reference list, appendices and the cover page. The actual word count must be stated on the cover page of the assignment. A deduction of 2 marks from marks allocated to this assignment will apply if the number of words is 1 under by more than 10% of 2,500 words or over by more than 20% of 2,500 words. Word limits allow the student to structure the assignment to allow for the preparation of an informative yet succinct report.
Task 2 (GLO 7)
All team members must complete Peer assessment form and submit this document in the individual dropbox (NOT IN THE GROUP ASSIGNMENT DROPBOX) before the deadline of assignment submission. As a team member you will evaluate your other team members' contribution to complete this assignment. Peer assessment statement form can be accessed under "Assessment 1' resource folder. In a very rare case where a student completes Task 1 as an individual assignment, the student will automatically get zero on task 2. In some cases where not all team members submit the peer assessment form, the team member who has not submitted the assessment form will attract zero on this task. This task will carry 10% of the total assignment marks. Please note it is an individual task.
Task 3 (GLO 6)
Write around 500 words reflecting on what you have learnt about yourself as a team member. Reflect on your strengths and your weaknesses as a member of your team. Also provide list of actions that you will take next time to improve your team work skill. All team member should submit separate document in the individual dropbox (NOT IN THE GROUP ASSIGNMENT DROPBOX). Self-assessment statement form can be accessed from Cloud under "Assessment 1' resource folder. This task will carry 10% of the total assignment marks. Please note it is an individual task.
This total mark of the assignment (including task1, task2 and task3) is 100, and converted into 30% of the final grade in this unit.
Unit Learning Outcomes assessed:
- Explain, evaluate and apply a range of advanced accounting theories and standards.
- Identify, define and integrate to construct explanations that can inform solutions to relevant accounting issues.
- Reflect and critically examine personal actions and responsibilities for applying and learning theories and standards in accounting principles and practice.
- Work with others effectively and provide constructive feedback that is supportive and promotes improvement in understanding of advanced accounting principles and practice.
- Critically analyse and discuss concepts surrounding corporate ethical and social responsibilities within the global. 2
Graduate Learning Outcomes assessed:
- GLO1: Discipline-specific knowledge and capabilities.
- GLO 2: Communication
- GLO6: Self-management.
- GLO8: Global citizenship.