Properties of t distribution
1. The t distribution ranges from - ∞ to ∞ first as does the general distribution
2. The t distribution as the standard general distribution is bell shaped and symmetrical around mean zero
3. The shapes of the t distribution changes like the number of degrees of freedom changes
4. The t distribution is more platykurtic that the normal distribution
5. The t distribution has a greater dispersion than the standard general distribution. Like n gets larger the t distribution approaches the general distribution while n = 30 the difference is extremely small
Relation among the t distribution and standard general distribution is displayed in the given diagram
Note that the t distribution has different shapes depending on the size of the sample. When the sample is rather small the height of the t distribution is shorter than the general distribution and the tails are wider.