MODERN CELL THEORY
Also known as cell doctrine or cell principle.
[Cell theory + cell lineage theory = cell principle]
Schleiden-Schwann's cell theory and cell lineage theory of Rudolf virchow both were discarded.
Proposed by C.P. Swanson, according this concept :-
1. All the living organisms are made up of cells. i.e. they are morphological and structural unit of living organism and life exist only in cell.
2. The cells contain hereditory material, i.e. they are responsible for transmission of characters.
3. Cell never appear de-novo. i.e. they appear only from the pre-existing once.
4. Cells are basic and smallest unit of life.
5. Cells are responsible for all the metabolic activities with in the living organism, i.e. they are physiology units of living organism.
6. Each cell is capable of maintaining its vitality independently.
7. A cell is a small mass of protoplasm and is bounded by plasmma membrane.
8. Cell for their survival maintain homeostasis.