The important functions of maintenance can be stated as follows:
1. To develop maintenance policies procedures and standards for the organization.
2. To schedule planned maintenance work in consultation with the concerned production departments.
3. To carry out repairs and rectify or overhaul planned equipment and other facilities to ensure good availability and optimum operational efficiency.
4. To ensure schedule inspection and lubrication of plant machinery and equipment.
5. To maintain and carry out repairs of building utilities material handling equipments and other service facilities such as yard central stores roadways sewers electrical installations etc.
6. To keep record of all maintenance work( repair replacement modification lubrication overhauls etc)
7. To carry out periodic inspection of equipment and facilities to know conditions which may lead to their breakdown and stoppage?
8. To prepare inventory of spare parts and other materials needed for maintenance work.
9. To carry out alterations modifications or improvements in existing equipments and buildings to minimize breakdown.
10. To prepare maintenance budget and to ensure that maintenance expenditure does not exceed the planned budget .
11. To recruit and train personnel to carry out maintenance work effectively and efficiently.
12. To enforce safety standards as required for use of certain categories of equipment such as pressure vessels chemical plants etc.
13. To handle disposition of scrap or surplus materials.
14. Good housekeeping.
15. To develop proper management information systems to provide information to top management about the maintenance activities.