Factors Contributing To High Technical Losses
Power distribution systems in developing countries have faced a phenomenal and rapid growth within the last two decades. Although the losses in EHV network are commonly about 4%-5%, bulk of the losses occurs in the Sub-Transmission and Distribution system. We now elaborate the main factors in which contribute to high technical losses.
Factors Contributing to High Technical Losses
1. Weak and inadequate system because of low investments in the system.
2. Large-scale rural electrification.
3. Ad-hoc expansion of the system without scientific planning.
4. Various transformation stages.
5. Low power factor.
6. Low quality of equipment, poor construction and inadequate maintenance of equipment.
7. Improper load management.
8. Distribution transformers not located at Load centre.