1. The energy meter is the cash register of the utility. Energy meters form a vital instrument of revenue realization for the Supply Utilities. Based on the meter reading, the utilities submit their bills to their consumers for realization. Inaccurate/faulty recording might become catastrophic both to consumers and utilities. Therefore, a requirement to ensure a high degree of performance and reliability from the meters has become significant.
2. There are several technologies available for energy meters from electromechanical meters to hybrid meters along with stepper counter motor and completely electronic meter.
3. The meters are tested and calibrated to ensure proper working and in which the accuracy is to be maintained inside permissible limits under IE Rules.
4. Testing of meters could be carried out at site or in the laboratory.
5. The meter has to be installed properly before commissioning.