Advantages and Disadvantages of Stock Verification
Some of the advantages and disadvantages of stock verification are listed in this section.
• By revealing the number of books lost in a library it helps to replace the lost books.
• Gives an indication of books popular with readers although often in academic libraries such books are not necessarily those recommended in the course.
• Enables the library staff to get a better acquaintance with the books, which is very necessary for the maintenance staff.
• Ensures thorough dusting, cleaning and rearrangement.
• Facilitates identification of worn-out books for mending, repair and binding.
• Helps to keep the library catalogue and other stock control records up-to-date.
• Gives an indication of the efficiency of the library staff with reference to vigilance and carefulness in maintaining the collection.
• Regular routine of library work gets disturbed
• Inconvenience to readers is caused;
• Considered to be a waste of time, energy and money by some;
• May turn out to be a futility since the reality may never be revealed for various reasons.