Reference no: EM132235192
IT INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT PHASE INSTRUCTIONS
This project along with the Phase II IT Infrastructure Project will help you understand how a network administrator improves network performance in wired and wireless local area and wide area networks, using the application Cisco Packet Tracer. To learn more about Packet Tracer please read the Cisco Packet Tracer DS PDF.
In this project, you will study performance improvements in a congested, wired LAN/WAN environment that can be solved to varying degrees by a new IT infrastructure design and fully functional implementation in Packet Tracer. Later, in Phase II of the project, you will scale this design to a larger enterprise IT infrastructure.
To begin the projects, you will complete a review of related literature to identify what is appropriate to improve system feasibility, RAS (reliability, availability, serviceability), security, and disaster recovery of the existing IT infrastructure and model of your hospital. Once this review of literature is complete, you will use the outcomes and research results to advance and improve the IT infrastructure. Proper data analysis, comparison, and contrast will be summarized within in-text tables and figures as well as appendixes to explain the results of the IT infrastructure re-design and improvement.
• Take screenshots demonstrating your network, servers, configurations, and protocols properly functioning in the new design. Screenshots must include a unique piece of information identifying the student's computer along with a proper operating system date/time. Submit these as appendices in the Word document.
• Submit a working Packet Tracer lab, typically this file has a .pkt file extension.
o This will include the fully operational new IT infrastructure design
o All devices in the lab must be named with your first name and last name
- Example: Jane_Doe_Router_1
o All hardware and software should be configured properly and should be able to communicate securely using optimized networking designs, configurations, and protocols
• IT Infrastructure Design Requirements
o You must start with a blank/new Packet Tracer file, existing labs or modified labs of existing solutions will receive a zero without exception
o Include the existing hospital services and systems but optimized/improved
o Design a medium-size network for 200 to 1,000 devices
- For example, an N-Tier design or superior supported by research
- Add appropriate routers and switches to support this new design
- Design and configure at least one appropriate networking protocol, IPv4 or IPv6
• Design IP addressing that will scale to 1,000 devices
• Use proper network address translation (NAT)
o Add an Internet Service Provider (ISP) into the design
o Add appropriate security into the design
o Add sufficient modularity, resiliency, and flexibility into the design
o Design and implement the following new services and servers
- A Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server that automatically assigns working IP addresses to new workstations that allows them to connect to all network devices properly
- A name server that manages the Domain Name System (DNS) and allows workstations to communicate with a web server external to the local area network
- An external web server that hosts your favorite website, accessible via the ISP
- Two new user workstations in each building that uses the new services and services properly
• Show these services working on each workstation in your project (e.g. a website from the web server, DHCP, etc)
• Written Requirements (Introduction, Literature Review, and Conclusion)
o Submit a properly formatted APA paper in Microsoft Word
o Here is an example paper:
o Table of Contents that automatically adjusts page numbers of the main headings
- Introduce the primary goals and objectives of the project
o Review of literature that supports the new system simulation, model, and design
- Include appropriate IT frameworks and standards in which to design the new system
- Address system feasibility, RAS (reliability, availability, serviceability), security, and disaster recovery
- Include at least 10 scholarly journal articles focusing on relevant research on the problems being addressed
o Packet Tracer design explanation
- Explain each of the additions and improvements
- Reference the primary configurations and how these were developed
- Include running configurations from routers/switches as appendices
- Highlight any limitations, managerial implications, and conclusions of the project deliverables and outcomes
• Save the file as Lastname_Firstname_ProjectPhaseI. Include your name in the assignment file itself and submit your file to Blackboard.
• To copy screenshots to Microsoft Word:
o Press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. The key is usually located at the upper right corner of a keyboard.
o You can also use the "snipping tool" in Windows
o For Windows users, open application "Paint" and paste the screen shot over. "Paint" usually can be accessed this way: Start → All Programs → Accessories. For users of other operating systems, use a similar application.
o In "Paint", select the graph or area needed and copy it. You need to click this icon in order to be able to select an area. The icon is listed on the left side of the window.
o Paste the selected area to a word processor.