Reference no: EM131207749
Assignment: Big Switch Network Design
Big Switch is a medium-sized sales organization with 100 employees with annual revenue of $10 million. Big Switch has a central office of 30 employees that supports a sales force consisting of 70 employees across 10 regional offices in the United States. Approximately 20% of the Big Switch sales are transacted from customers over the Web and 80% are from face-to-face sales interactions. The company expects a greater Web presence in the near future.
The Big Switch enterprise network consists of a core backbone, campus, data center, Branch / WAN, and Internet Edge. The seven departments in the company include Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Sales, Marketing, Technology, and the corporate office. Computing equipment is provided to all employees of Big Switch. The company also uses 20 independent sales contractors that are assigned a specific territory and use their own computing and home office equipment to access the Big Switch network.
Due to recent major security breaches in its campus network, Big Switch has hired you to design an infrastructure that:
• Implements VLAN segments.
• Protects against MAC layer attacks.
• Protects against VLAN attacks.
• Protects against spoofing attacks.
• Secures the network switches.
As the network analyst hired to model this infrastructure, you are to provide an implementation solution that considers redundancy and secure strategies across the enterprise network and the Big Switch seven departments. The CEO has informed you that the capital budget for this migration cannot exceed $400,000 and must not interrupt business operations.
The company wishes a seamless migration that minimizes impact to its customers and employees. Any gaps in this background will require you to make sound technical and persuasive assumptions that satisfy the customer's goals that are within the budget guidelines.
Your network migration plan will be in phases with noted milestones and graphic topologies that support your approach.
Write a five to eight page paper in which you:
1. Explain the design of an infrastructure that Implements VLAN segments, protects against MAC layer attacks, protects against VLAN attacks, protects against spoofing attacks, and secures the network switches.
2. Describe the deployment approach and design that you would use in the enterprise network that consists of core backbone, campus, data center, Branch / WAN, and Internet edge. Defend your decision.
3. Describe the deployment approach and design that you would use in the seven departments of the company, which include Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Sales, Marketing, Technology, and the Corporate Office. Defend your decision.
4. Using Microsoft Visio or an open source alternative such as Dia, graphically illustrate the infrastructure design that implements VLAN segments, protects against MAC layer attacks, protects against VLAN attacks, protects against spoofing attacks, and secures the network switches. Next, graphically illustrate the deployment approach for the seven departments and design of the infrastructure. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
5. Propose the way in which your overall solution will promote a secure environment for Big Switch. Justify your response.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Configure and implement VLANs in a Campus network environment.
• Describe and implement high availability in a campus infrastructure.
• Understand and implement a secure campus switching environment.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in internetworking switching.
• Write clearly and concisely about internetworking switching using proper writing mechanics.