Reference no: EM131296754
Read the given case study "Klanton Bower Data Center" and answer the following questions:-
Case Study - Klanton Bower Data Center
The Klanton Bower Data Center is a commercial data center specializing in small business IT services such as mass memory storage, email and enterprise systems servers, and website services. The data center, which has been in business for eight years, was started by the current owner, Klanton Bower, Ph.D., a data system specialist and research scientist. The data center also has four senior managers and several technicians and support staff who manage all the equipment and IT services infrastructure. Dr. Bower and the senior management have been researching next-generation equipment for a possible expansion of their services to meet current market demands and to prepare for future next-generation requirements of large enterprise software platforms.
As Dr. Bower and senior management review the capability of current infrastructure equipment and what is required to upgrade and expand to meet future demands, this is considered a large-scale expansion of their current operation and is viewed as a special project. Dr. Bower has asked senior management to outline what equipment would be needed, provide estimated delivery dates of equipment, and create an outline of the events required to accomplish this expansion project.
Senior management understand the importance of purchasing the correct equipment and, from a project standpoint, correctly managing installation and testing as well as the go-live to have as little impact on the data center operations as possible and have a seamless crossover so that current customers will not be affected. In the initial outlay of logistics, it has been determined that one piece of critical server equipment has a lead time twice as long as several of the other pieces of equipment, and that may pose a challenge in the installation and testing of all the equipment. Fortunately, this piece of equipment can be installed at a later date and be integrated and tested at that time. The second challenge is clearing enough space in the current data center for installation of the entire expansion infrastructure.
The primary components of this project include finalizing research and the equipment list; procuring all equipment and establishing delivery schedules; organizing and clearing the data center floor for the expansion of equipment; and sequencing all activities required for the installation, testing, verification, and go live cross-over to implement the new equipment.
Network Planning (Activity Sequencing)
1. Find any activity information that would be useful in sequencing activities.
2. Determine a diagramming method (PDM)
3. Identify predecessor relationships, if any.
4. Create a network diagram of activities
1. Develop a list of resources needed on the project.
2. Can you identify any resource constraints for this project?
3. Are there any special capability requirements for resources?
4. Which estimating method would be best for this project and why?
Activity Duration Estimating
1. Selected duration estimating method based on the information available in the case study to derive activity durations.
2. What sources of subject matter experts might be available?
3. Are there any identifiable estimating constraints?
4. Determine activity duration estimates for each activity.
1. Review resource requirements and develop resource loading matrix
2. Analyze work activity relationships using a network diagram and determine the critical path
3. Does any resource leveling need to be addressed?
4. Are there any other scenarios oppressiveness of relationships that may improve network schedule?