Q. Process of World Wide Web?
When you type a URL in a web browser, this is what happens:
1. If URL contains a domain name, browser first connects to a domain name server and retrieves corresponding IP address for the web server.
2. Web browser connects to web server and transmits an HTTP request (via protocol stack) for the desired web page.
3. The web server receives the request and checks for desired page. If page exists, the web server sends it. If server can't find the requested page, it will send an HTTP 404 error message. (404 means 'Page Not Found' as anyone who has surfed the web probably knows.)
4. Web browser receives page back and connection is closed.
5. Browser then parses through the page and looks for other page elements it needs to complete web page. These generally include images, applets etc.
6. For each element needed, browser makes additional connections and HTTP requests to server for each element.
7. When browser has finished loading all images, applets etc. page will be completely loaded in browser window.
Most Internet protocols are specified by Internet documents termed as a Request for Comments or RFCs. RFCs may be found at many locations on the Internet.
WWW is an Internet navigation tool which helps you to find and retrieve information links to other WWW pages. WWW is a distributed hypermedia environment consisting of documents from around the world. Documents are linked using a system termed as hypertext, where elements of one document may be linked to specific elements of another document. Documents may be located on any computer connected to Internet. The word 'document' isn't limited to text however may include video, databases, graphics and a host of other tools.
World Wide Web is explained as a 'wide area hypermedia information initiative among to give universal access to large universe of documents'. World Wide Web provides users on computer networks with a consistent means to access a range of media in a simplified fashion. A popular software program to search Web is known as Mosaic, Web project has modified the way people view and create information. It has created first global hypermedia network.
Once again WWW provides an integrated view of Internet using servers and clients. Clients are programs which help you seek out information whereas servers are the programs which find information to the clients. WWW servers are placed all around the Internet.