Preparation of Guidance Charts for First Aid Your Counsellor will form groups of four students. Using the materials from the sections of Unit 16 mentioned in each case below, each group has to prepare in chart papers the set of guidelines for the first aid concerning the following :
1) Chemical burns
2) Slight bleeding
3) Splashes on the eyes
4) Ingestion of chemicals
5) Thermal burns
7) Electric shock
8) Fainting/unconscious casualties (for cases of breathing and heart beat stoppage - write details of three steps for resuscitation given under the headings, 'Opening the airway, mouth-to-mouth artificial respiration and heart massage for restoring circulation' in Sec. 16.6).
Each of you has to prepare charts for two first aid procedures. One example is given below. You may use coloured chart papers as also a format of your choice.
First aid for chemical bums
1. * Wash the affected area with large amount of running water to remove the chemical substance completely. * If water is in short supply, wipe the affected area using a clean cloth before the wash. * In case of splash of insoluble chemicals, use soap along with water.
2. Carefully remove all contaminated clothing.
3. Splash of acids : Wash with 10% sodium bicarbonate solution and then apply vaseline.
Splash of alkalies : Wash with 1% acetic acid and then apply vaseline.
Splash of bromine : Wash with 2 M ammonia and keep the affected part dipped in sodium bisulphite solution.
Splash of phenol : Apply ethanol on a cotton wool pad or sodium
4. In case of severe injury, arrange immediate transportation to the nearest doctor.