What is the expected value of each option

Assignment Help Finance Basics
Reference no: EM132012615

Question: Suppose you have $90 to invest or store in a safe deposit box. Your only alternative to storing is a stock which sells for $90. The stock is an initial public offering for a company with a risky idea that is projected to triple in value in a year if the idea works. The history of such ventures is that 80% of the time they fail and you lose your money. The other 20% of the time they triple your money in a year.

a. What is the expected value of each option at the end of the year? = $54

b. Which option would you take if your utility function for money is u(M) = M2 ? = 14,580 so buy stock

c. Which option would you take if your utility function for money is u(M) = M1/2 ? = 9.49 so money stored

d. Using calculus, characterize your risk preferences (risk adverse, risk lover, or risk neutral) in parts b and c above

Reference no: EM132012615


Write a Review


Finance Basics Questions & Answers

  Discuss career paths for interest

Discuss career paths are of interest to you? How has the information presented in this course influenced your thoughts about your personal career path?

  Correlation and bivariate regression testing

Review this week's Learning Resources and media program related to regression and correlation. Using the SPSS software, open the Afrobarometer dataset or the High School Longitudinal Study dataset (whichever you choose) found in the Learning Resour..

  Create a hedge against rising interest rates

However, the firm's financial manager is concerned that interest rates will climb even higher in coming months.

  Prepare budget

Required: Prepare the following for Iguana Inc., for the second quarter (April, May, and June). Include each month as well as the qurter 2 total for each budget.

  Computing and journalizing payroll amounts

Computing and journalizing payroll amounts Len Wilson is general manager of Moonwalk Salons. During 2016, Wilson worked for the company all year at a $12,200.

  What is the difference between the two firms roes

Firms HD and LD are identical except for their level of debt and the interest rates they pay on debt-HD has more debt and pays a higher interest rate on that debt. Based on the data given below, what is the difference between the two firms' ROEs?

  Michael porter three strategies

What gives Amazon an edge over its competitors based on Michael Porter three Strategies?

  Demonstrate servant leadership in organization

Find an opportunity to demonstrate servant leadership in your organization or community through volunteering or serving others.

  Examine the fundamental reasons

Specify the one (1) change that you would make, and examine the fundamental reasons why this change is necessary.

  Current price of builtrite common stock

Builtrite Furniture just paid an annual dividend of $2.75 last week and investors' believe that dividends will continue to grow at a 7% rate into the future. The current price of Builtrite's common stock is $72. What return do investors' require o..

  Find market anticipate yield on one year treasury securities

One year treasury securities yield 6.9%, while two year Treasury securities yield 7.2%. If the expectations theory is correct (that is, the maturity risk premium = 0)

  What price would an investor be expected to pay

A stock is expected to pay $2.80 per share every yr indefinately and the equity cost of capital for the company is 11%. what price would an investor be expected to pay per share next year?

Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd