Prepare photo artistry companys master budget

Assignment Help Managerial Accounting
Reference no: EM134369

Jay Rexford, president of Photo Artistry Company, was just concluding a budget meeting with his senior staff.  It was November of 2013, and the group was discussing preparation of the firm's master budget for 2014.  "I've decided to go ahead and purchase the industrial robot we've been talking about. We'll make the acquisition on January 2 of next year, and I expect it will take most of the year to train the personnel and reorganize the production process to take full advantage of the new equipment."

In response to a question about financing the acquisition, Rexford replied as follows: "The robot will cost $950,000.  There will also be an additional $50,000 in ancillary equipment to be purchased.  We'll finance these purchases with a one-year $1,000,000 loan from Shark Bank and Trust Company.  I've negotiated a repayment schedule of four equal installments on the last day of each quarter.  The in­terest rate will be 10 percent, and interest payments will be quarterly as well."  With that the meeting broke up, and the budget process was on.

Photo Artistry Company is a manufacturer of metal picture frames.  The firm's two product lines are designated as S (small frames; 5 × 7 inches) and L (large frames; 8 × 10 inches).  The primary raw materials are flexible metal strips and 9-inch by 24-inch glass sheets.  Each S frame requires a 2-foot metal strip; an L frame requires a 3-foot metal strip.  Allowing for normal breakage and scrap glass, the company can get either four S frames or two L frames out of a glass sheet.  Other raw materials, such as cardboard back­ing, are insignificant in cost and are treated as indirect materials.  Emily Jackson, Photo Artistry's con­troller, is in charge of preparing the master budget for 2014.  She has gathered the following information:

  1. Sales in the fourth quarter of 2013 are expected to be 50,000 S frames and 40,000 L frames.  The sales manager predicts that over the next two years, sales in each product line will grow by 5,000 units each quarter over the previous quarter.  For example, S frame sales in the first quarter of 2014 are expected to be 55,000 units.
  2. Photo Artistry's sales history indicates that 60 percent of all sales are on credit, with the remainder of the sales in cash.  The company's collection experience shows that 80 percent of the credit sales are collected during the quarter in which the sale is made, while the remaining 20 percent is collected in the, following quarter.  For simplicity, assume the company is able to collect 100 per­cent of its accounts receivable.
  3. The S frame sells for $10, and the L frame sells for $15.  These prices are expected to hold con­stant throughout 2014.
  4. The production manager attempts to end each quarter with enough finished-goods inventory in each product line to cover 20 percent of the following quarter's sales.
  5. Photo Artistry makes an attempt to end each quarter with 20 percent of the glass sheets needed for the following quarter's production.  The company wants to have an inventory of 10,400 sheets at the end of 2014.
  6. Metal strips are purchased locally and the company buys them on a just-in-time ba­sis.  Inventory of metal strips is negligible.
  7. All direct-material purchases are made on account, and 80 percent of each quarter's purchases are paid in cash during the same quarter as the purchase.  The other 20 percent is paid in the next quarter.
  8. Indirect materials are purchased with cash as needed.  Work-in-process is negligible.
  9. Projected manufacturing costs in 2014 are as follow:

 

S Frame

 

L Frame

Direct material:

 

 

 

Metal strips:

 

 

 

   S: 2 ft. @ $1 per foot

$2.00

 

 

   L: 3 ft. @ $1 per foot

 

 

$3.00

Glass sheets:

 

 

 

   S: ¼ sheet @ $8 per sheet

2.00

 

 

   L: ½ sheet @ $8 per sheet

 

 

4.00

Direct labor:

 

 

 

   .1 hour @ $20

2.00

 

2.00

Manufacturing overhead:

 

 

 

   .1 hour @ $10

  1.00 

 

1.00

Total manufacturing cost per unit     

$7.00

 

$10.00

10.  Manufacturing equipment depreciation is $20,000 per quarter.

11.  Photo Artistry's quarterly selling and administrative expenses are $100,000, paid incash.  The company rents all its administrative office space and equipment.  Thus, there is no depreciation related to the administrative functions of the company.  

12.  The $1,000,000 loan from Shark Bank and Trust Company will be received on January 1, 2014.  Photo Artistry will use all the money immediately to purchase new equipment.  Interest payments will be made at the end of each quarter.  Loan principal will be paid in four equal installments of $250,000 at the end of each quarter.

13.  Jackson anticipates that dividends of $50,000 will be declared and paid in cash each quarter.

14.  Photo Artistry's projected balance sheet as of December 31, 2013, follows:

Cash

$      95,000

Accounts receivable

132,000

Inventory:

 

   Raw material

59,200

   Finished goods

167,000

   Plant and equipment, net

8,000,000

Total assets

$   8,453,200

 

Accounts payable

 

$       99,400

Common stock

5,000,000

Retained earnings

3,353,800

Total liabilities and stockholders' equity

 $  8,453,200

Required:

1. Prepare Photo Artistry Company's master budget for 2014 by completing the following schedules:

  • Schedule 1 - Sales budget with a schedule of expected cash collections
  • Schedule 2 - Production budget
  • Schedule 3 - Direct materials budget with a schedule of cash disbursements for materials
  • Schedule 4 - Direct labor budget
  • Schedule 5 - Manufacturing overhead budget
  • Schedule 6 - Ending finished goods inventory budget
  • Schedule 7 - Selling and administrative expenses budget
  • Schedule 8 - Cash budget
  • Schedule 9 - Budgeted Income Statement
  • Schedule 10 - Budgeted Balance Sheet

2. Prepare a memo for Photo Artistry Company identifying issues that management should consider in order to improve the profitability of the company; provide some recommendations.  Give careful consideration to this answer as it counts 20% of your grade.

Reference no: EM134369

Questions Cloud

Find out ratio of the detector : Find out  ratio of the detector
Barriers to supply chain integration : Identify some of the barriers to supply chain integration
What practical steps could be taken to increase visibility : What practical steps could be taken to increase 'visibility' in the supply chain of A chosen business? What would the potential benefits be and would they outweigh the risks involved?
Need some assistance with a group international business : Need some assistance with a group international business assignment QUESTION- Any references you would make for creating greater international business achievement between Russia and the United States?
Prepare photo artistry companys master budget : Prepare Photo Artistry Company's master budget for 2014 by completing the schedules Prepare a memo for Photo Artistry Company identifying issues that management should consider in order to improve the profitability of the company; provide some r..
What is the greatest possible distance from the wall : What is the greatest possible distance from the wall
Find out the least compression of the spring : Find out the least compression of the spring
Functions of parametric statistical procedures : What would be the appropriate statistical procedure to test the following hypothesis:  "Triglyceride values are a good predictor of weight in obese adults." What are the functions of parametric statistical procedures?
Find out kinetic energy of the merry-go-round : Find out kinetic energy of the merry-go-round

Reviews

Write a Review

 

Managerial Accounting Questions & Answers

  Prepare an analysis of terracycles

This individual assignment is based on the TerraCycle Inc.

  Compute the pool rates for the different activities

Complete the schedule to compute the pool rates for the different activities.

  Evaluate direct materials and conversion costs

What are the corresponding units for direct materials and conversion costs, correspondingly, for June?

  Evaluate purscos foreign tax credit limitation

Evaluate Pursco's foreign tax credit limitation under the subsequent independent assumptions.

  Management accounting - ehsan electronics company

A new plant accountant suggested that the company may be able to assign support costs to products more accurately by using an activity based costing system that relies on a separate rate for each manufacturing activity that causes support costs.

  Write about the financial statement analysis

Write about Best buy about their Financial Statement Analysis

  Measurement in the context of accounting

Measurement in the context of accounting The diverse measurement methods developed for different kinds of assets propose that standard setters are confused regarding the nature of the attribute which is to be measured

  Cash and investments of a bond sinking fund

Cash and investments of a bond sinking fund established to service general government long-term debt.

  Prepare a retained earnings statement

Prepare a retained earnings statement for the year and Prepare a stockholders' equity section of given case.

  Management accounting formats

Management accounting formats are identical for all companies

  Develop a value chain for the airline industry

Develop a value chain for the airline industry

  Prepare a master budget for the three-month period

Prepare a master budget for the three-month period.

Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd