Case - uncertain demand at wm

Assignment Help Other Subject
Reference no: EM131034388

Case - Uncertain Demand at WM3

The production manager and manufacturing engineer in the assembly department of Western Muskegon Machining and Manufacturing (WM3) have designed a new assembly fixture. The fixture will reduce the assembly time from 33 minutes to 27 minutes, saving $1.92 per unit in direct labor. The assembly department is seeing steadily increasing demands and will soon be looking at overtime or adding more part-time workers.

The fixture will cost $18,000 to fabricate and can be ready in one month. This will place the fixture in service in the middle of the current fiscal year. The fixture will have a ten-year life if properly maintained. Its salvage value will be negligible, as its general usefulness is limited. The fixture is not in the current budget, but both the production manager and the manufacturing engineer believe that the project should be considered for funding out of the budget for contingencies. With wages currently projected to increase at a rate of 4.5% per year over the next six years due to a tight labor market, the project supports the company's goal of reducing the labor content of products as much as is feasible.

In figuring the cost savings, the production manager points out that $88 of overhead is charged for each hour of direct labor. The manufacturing engineer points out that in this overhead charge are the fringe benefits and other payroll-related costs of 38.5%, which are incurred for each hour of direct labor, and that this rate is expected to increase by 1.5% per year.

The new operation will require an additional 100 square feet of floor space, and currently the department pays $18 annually per square foot in overhead charges. The space is available in an adjacent department, which recently reduced its requirements when it did a similar project. Overhead costs are expected to increase at the rate of general inflation (2.5%). The product has a demand of 2000 units this year (spread equally over the year). There is some uncertainty on the demand over the next five years. Marketing believes that there is a 45% chance that demand will fall off at the rate of 200 units per year until demand ceases after five more years. There is a 25% chance that demand will remain constant until it ceases after 5 more years. There is a 30% chance that demand will be 1000 units for the next two years and 750 for the next three, when demand will then cease.

WM3 has a real after-tax MARR of 12% with a marginal combined tax rate of 41.3%. Should this project be considered, if budget funds can be made available?

Reference no: EM131034388

Questions Cloud

Describe different functions/aspects of a dbms : Describe different functions/aspects of a DBMS
Describe and contrast maintenance and validation : Describe and contrast maintenance and validation techniques.
What are the 5 levels of hierarchy in a db : What are the 5 levels of hierarchy in a DB
When considering the typical characteristics of a server : When considering the typical characteristics of a server, how is the server optimized in relation to applications?
Case - uncertain demand at wm : Case - Uncertain Demand at WM3 - The production manager and manufacturing engineer in the assembly department of Western Muskegon Machining and Manufacturing (WM3) have designed a new assembly fixture
Develop careers outside the home as they age : Develop careers outside the home as they age - take on more of the day-to-day chores as they age.
Match the terminology on the left with the corresponding : Match the terminology on the left with the corresponding category on the right.
Develop a profile of various projects for risk visibility : A key point in project portfolio management is that the IT manager must determine the risk associated with each project and develop a profile of various projects for risk visibility.
What are the qualities of good information : What are the qualities of good information?

Reviews

Write a Review

 

Other Subject Questions & Answers

  What are the advantages and disadvantages of a joint stock

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a Joint Stock Company?

  Due to the signing of form 8332 bernice has no recourse for

due to the signing of form 8332 bernice has no recourse for 2010. she can avoid the five-year restriction by revoking

  Question regarding the universal health coverage

Do you feel the U.S. government should provide universal health coverage? Does it have an "obligation" to do so? If so, what role should personal responsibility play...should the government provide health care for someone who chooses to smoke, etc..

  Brief analysis of the article the tourist gaze

For each question, you will locate a scholarly article over a topic, which name as "the tourist gaze". You will cite the article using the Chicago Manual of Style and provide a brief analysis of the article

  Which of following items would you likely deem as defective

You are operating a concession stand selling hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, and fountain drinks. Your processes are designed to prepare all food items to the proper internal temperature with a desirable external appearance. Which of the follo..

  Explain the significance of psychological capital psycap

what promotes employee engagement according to our authors? what is the importance of psychological capital psycap?

  Explaining the cognitive distortions

Search the library and the Internet and research cognitive distortions. Generally speaking, what are cognitive distortions? Explain.

  Answer the questions at the end of the excerpt

Read the excerpt Mill’s On Liberty that follows these instructions. Answer the questions at the end of the excerpt. The questions are short answer questions and should not require more than one paragraph apiece to answer.

  Relationship between the us and turkey

Identify and describe the current relationship between the U.S. and turkey

  Theories of motivation and personality

The summative assessment for this course is a Final Paper that is due in Week Five. For your Final Paper, you must demonstrate an understanding of a topic in psychology beyond the information presented in the course textbook. Incorporate materia..

  Society and criminology

Examine the changes which you would want to make to our core structure. Determine the steps that you would follow to make the change in our core structure. Identify the impact that these changes will have on our society and criminology.

  Consider any us presidential candidate for election

Consider any US presidential candidate (exclude Donald Trump for now) for election year 2016 from any party; discuss their perspective on race (you'll have to run a search on this candidate) and how that could help or hurt race relations in the US

Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd