Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Basic Computer Science
Proposal a) Disabling Interrupts (Hardware Solution)
• Every process disables all interrupts just after entering in its critical section and re-enables all interrupts just previous to leaving critical section. With interrupts turned off the CPU could not be switched to further process. consequently, no other process will enter its critical and mutual exclusion get.
Disabling interrupts is sometimes a useful interrupts is sometimes a useful technique within the kernel of an operating system, but it is not appropriate as a general mutual exclusion mechanism for users’ process. The reason is that it is unwise to give user process the power to exit interrupts.
Proposal b) Lock Variable (Software Solution)
• In this solution, we judge a single, shared, (lock) variable, at first 0. When a process desires to enter in its critical section, it first tests the lock. If lock is 0, the process at first sets it to 1 and then enters the critical section. If the lock is previously 1, the process just waits until (lock) variable becomes 0.Therefore, a 0 means that no process in its critical section, and 1 means hold your horses - some process is in its critical section.
Conclusion of problem
the error in this proposal can be best explained by illustration. Suppose process A sees that the lock is 0. Before it can put the lock to 1 one more process B is scheduled, runs, and sets the lock to 1. as the process A runs again, it will also set the lock to 1, and two processes will be in their critical section at the same time.
Proposal c) Strict Alteration
• In this proposed solution, the integer variable ''turn'' remains track of whose turn is to enter the critical section. Originally, process A inspect turn, finds it to be 0, and come in its critical section. Process B also gets it to be 0 and sits in a loop continually testing ''turn'' to see when it becomes 1.constantly testing a variable waiting for some value to come out is called the Busy-Waiting.
taking turns is not a high-quality thought when one of the processes is much slower than the other. Suppose process 0 finishes its critical section quickly, so both processes are now in their noncritical part. This circumstance violates above mentioned condition 3.
by means of Systems calls ''sleep'' and ''wakeup''
• Essentially, what above mentioned solution do is this: when a process desires to enter in its critical section, it checks to see if then entry is permitted or not? If it is not, the process goes into stretched loop and waits (i.e., start busy waiting) until it is allowed to enter. This approach waste CPU-time.
• Now appear at some interprocess communication primitives is the pair of steep-wakeup.
o This is a system call that reasons the caller to block, that is, be suspended until any other process wakes it up.
o This is a system call that wakes up the process.
Equally ''sleep'' and ''wakeup'' system calls have one parameter that stand for a memory address used to match up ''sleeps'' and ‘wakeups’.
Posted Date: 5/2/2012 9:27:27 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion? Discussions
Write discussion on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Unix, Shell Scriptiong
Copmurer, Classify computer systems according to capacity. How they are dif...
Classify computer systems according to capacity. How they are different from computers according to the classification of technology. Provide comparative study also.
]c language, ehat is header file
ehat is header file
Batch processing, Batch Processing When the entire computer system is d...
Batch Processing When the entire computer system is dedicated to a single job, the system is said to be operating in Batch Processing mode. In this mode each program is run to
N-ary relationships in database design, n-ary relationships in database des...
n-ary relationships in database design Each n-ary where n>2 relationship type is maped into a table name of the relationship works as the name of the table. The primary key of suc
Decimal to binary, How to convert 25.5 into binary
How to convert 25.5 into binary
What is nanp? explain, Question 1 What is NANP? Explain Question 2 ...
Question 1 What is NANP? Explain Question 2 What is E&M signaling? Discuss in brief Question 3 What are the common custom calling features? Question 4 Expl
Algorithim, product of two numbers
product of two numbers
Computer in education, What is CAI ? Explain it''s pitfalls.
What is CAI ? Explain it''s pitfalls.
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.