Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Basic Computer Science
Proposal a) Disabling Interrupts (Hardware Solution)
• Every process disables all interrupts just after entering in its critical section and re-enables all interrupts just previous to leaving critical section. With interrupts turned off the CPU could not be switched to further process. consequently, no other process will enter its critical and mutual exclusion get.
Disabling interrupts is sometimes a useful interrupts is sometimes a useful technique within the kernel of an operating system, but it is not appropriate as a general mutual exclusion mechanism for users’ process. The reason is that it is unwise to give user process the power to exit interrupts.
Proposal b) Lock Variable (Software Solution)
• In this solution, we judge a single, shared, (lock) variable, at first 0. When a process desires to enter in its critical section, it first tests the lock. If lock is 0, the process at first sets it to 1 and then enters the critical section. If the lock is previously 1, the process just waits until (lock) variable becomes 0.Therefore, a 0 means that no process in its critical section, and 1 means hold your horses - some process is in its critical section.
Conclusion of problem
the error in this proposal can be best explained by illustration. Suppose process A sees that the lock is 0. Before it can put the lock to 1 one more process B is scheduled, runs, and sets the lock to 1. as the process A runs again, it will also set the lock to 1, and two processes will be in their critical section at the same time.
Proposal c) Strict Alteration
• In this proposed solution, the integer variable ''turn'' remains track of whose turn is to enter the critical section. Originally, process A inspect turn, finds it to be 0, and come in its critical section. Process B also gets it to be 0 and sits in a loop continually testing ''turn'' to see when it becomes 1.constantly testing a variable waiting for some value to come out is called the Busy-Waiting.
taking turns is not a high-quality thought when one of the processes is much slower than the other. Suppose process 0 finishes its critical section quickly, so both processes are now in their noncritical part. This circumstance violates above mentioned condition 3.
by means of Systems calls ''sleep'' and ''wakeup''
• Essentially, what above mentioned solution do is this: when a process desires to enter in its critical section, it checks to see if then entry is permitted or not? If it is not, the process goes into stretched loop and waits (i.e., start busy waiting) until it is allowed to enter. This approach waste CPU-time.
• Now appear at some interprocess communication primitives is the pair of steep-wakeup.
o This is a system call that reasons the caller to block, that is, be suspended until any other process wakes it up.
o This is a system call that wakes up the process.
Equally ''sleep'' and ''wakeup'' system calls have one parameter that stand for a memory address used to match up ''sleeps'' and ‘wakeups’.
Posted Date: 5/2/2012 9:27:27 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion? Discussions
Write discussion on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Geometric mean - algorithm, The geometric mean is obtained by multiplying a...
The geometric mean is obtained by multiplying all the four numbers and taking the fourth root of the product. Let x 1 ,x 2 ,x 3 and x 4 be the given four numbers then geometric
The skill of Assembly Language, The skill of Assembly Language Programming ...
The skill of Assembly Language Programming (AoA), Randy Hyde''s acclaimed text on assembly language programming, is the most-frequently recommended book on 80x86 assembly language
Explain the probability and non-probability sampling methods, Question 1 W...
Question 1 Write a program to read four floating point numbers and find their sum and average. Question 2 Differentiate string constants and character constants with one exam
Control unit of the processor, Control Unit of the processor: The Con...
Control Unit of the processor: The Control Unit of the processor is that unit which controls and coordinates the execution of instructions by the processor. It is responsibl
Simulated annealing-artificial intelligence, Simulated Annealing One wa...
Simulated Annealing One way to answer the problem of local maxima and related problems like ridges and plateaux in hill climbing is to permit the agent to go downhill to some e
Database, how does one create a database in mysql
how does one create a database in mysql
Paid Website Usability Testers, Assess the reliability of data gathered via...
Assess the reliability of data gathered via paid Internet users. Describe and assess the evaluation method being used by the testing company, i.e., nonvisual and verbal recording o
Gov problem, "The government is auctioning off oil leases at two sites: 1 a...
"The government is auctioning off oil leases at two sites: 1 and 2. At each site, 100,000 acres of land are to be auctioned. Cliff Ewing, Blake Barnes, and Alexis Pickens are biddi
Computer, what is the computer science
what is the computer science
Explanation pre increment with example, Problem 1 What is precedence of...
Problem 1 What is precedence of operators? How are expressions evaluated using precedences? Defining precedence of operators Explanation of how expressions are evaluat
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.