Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Basic Computer Science
Proposal a) Disabling Interrupts (Hardware Solution)
• Every process disables all interrupts just after entering in its critical section and re-enables all interrupts just previous to leaving critical section. With interrupts turned off the CPU could not be switched to further process. consequently, no other process will enter its critical and mutual exclusion get.
Disabling interrupts is sometimes a useful interrupts is sometimes a useful technique within the kernel of an operating system, but it is not appropriate as a general mutual exclusion mechanism for users’ process. The reason is that it is unwise to give user process the power to exit interrupts.
Proposal b) Lock Variable (Software Solution)
• In this solution, we judge a single, shared, (lock) variable, at first 0. When a process desires to enter in its critical section, it first tests the lock. If lock is 0, the process at first sets it to 1 and then enters the critical section. If the lock is previously 1, the process just waits until (lock) variable becomes 0.Therefore, a 0 means that no process in its critical section, and 1 means hold your horses - some process is in its critical section.
Conclusion of problem
the error in this proposal can be best explained by illustration. Suppose process A sees that the lock is 0. Before it can put the lock to 1 one more process B is scheduled, runs, and sets the lock to 1. as the process A runs again, it will also set the lock to 1, and two processes will be in their critical section at the same time.
Proposal c) Strict Alteration
• In this proposed solution, the integer variable ''turn'' remains track of whose turn is to enter the critical section. Originally, process A inspect turn, finds it to be 0, and come in its critical section. Process B also gets it to be 0 and sits in a loop continually testing ''turn'' to see when it becomes 1.constantly testing a variable waiting for some value to come out is called the Busy-Waiting.
taking turns is not a high-quality thought when one of the processes is much slower than the other. Suppose process 0 finishes its critical section quickly, so both processes are now in their noncritical part. This circumstance violates above mentioned condition 3.
by means of Systems calls ''sleep'' and ''wakeup''
• Essentially, what above mentioned solution do is this: when a process desires to enter in its critical section, it checks to see if then entry is permitted or not? If it is not, the process goes into stretched loop and waits (i.e., start busy waiting) until it is allowed to enter. This approach waste CPU-time.
• Now appear at some interprocess communication primitives is the pair of steep-wakeup.
o This is a system call that reasons the caller to block, that is, be suspended until any other process wakes it up.
o This is a system call that wakes up the process.
Equally ''sleep'' and ''wakeup'' system calls have one parameter that stand for a memory address used to match up ''sleeps'' and ‘wakeups’.
Posted Date: 5/2/2012 9:27:27 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion? Discussions
Write discussion on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Operation research, Least cost method
Least cost method
Discuss the objectives of query processing, Question 1 Differentiate betwe...
Question 1 Differentiate between PL/SQL functions and procedures Question 2 Draw the diagram of logical structure of oracle database and explain it in brief Question 3 D
Management information systems, how to introduce information system an in o...
how to introduce information system an in organization
What is packet switching? explain, Question 1 What are the five subscriber...
Question 1 What are the five subscriber-related signaling functions performed by the operator? Question 2 Compare Microprogrammed control and Hard-wired control Que
Briefly explain the stage and the timeline, Question 1 Briefly explain the...
Question 1 Briefly explain the Stage and the Timeline Question 2 What is Device Central? How it is useful for previewing mobile content? Question 3 Which are the f
Project, how to set up the location (e.g. plaza, hall of fame, lecture thea...
how to set up the location (e.g. plaza, hall of fame, lecture theater or etc.) and services that will be used during the exhibition; devices needed; and finally produced a compreh
Principal structures in flow charting, PRINCIPAL STRUCTURES IN FLOW CHARTIN...
PRINCIPAL STRUCTURES IN FLOW CHARTING Structured programing calls for the usage of four principal structures to help simplify the program. They are: Sequential contro
C++, You are to code a C++ program that will read the file IntList into an ...
You are to code a C++ program that will read the file IntList into an integer array. There are no more than 20 integers in the file. After all of the data is read into the file,
Operating system, Operating system: An operating system is system sof...
Operating system: An operating system is system software which may be viewed as an organized collection of software consisting of procedures for operating a computer and pro
Central processing unit, Central Processing Unit: A Central Processing...
Central Processing Unit: A Central Processing Unit (CPU) in a computer system is an extremely fast device as compared to the main memory, but it can not work on its own. It de
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.