Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Basic Computer Science
Proposal a) Disabling Interrupts (Hardware Solution)
• Every process disables all interrupts just after entering in its critical section and re-enables all interrupts just previous to leaving critical section. With interrupts turned off the CPU could not be switched to further process. consequently, no other process will enter its critical and mutual exclusion get.
Disabling interrupts is sometimes a useful interrupts is sometimes a useful technique within the kernel of an operating system, but it is not appropriate as a general mutual exclusion mechanism for users’ process. The reason is that it is unwise to give user process the power to exit interrupts.
Proposal b) Lock Variable (Software Solution)
• In this solution, we judge a single, shared, (lock) variable, at first 0. When a process desires to enter in its critical section, it first tests the lock. If lock is 0, the process at first sets it to 1 and then enters the critical section. If the lock is previously 1, the process just waits until (lock) variable becomes 0.Therefore, a 0 means that no process in its critical section, and 1 means hold your horses - some process is in its critical section.
Conclusion of problem
the error in this proposal can be best explained by illustration. Suppose process A sees that the lock is 0. Before it can put the lock to 1 one more process B is scheduled, runs, and sets the lock to 1. as the process A runs again, it will also set the lock to 1, and two processes will be in their critical section at the same time.
Proposal c) Strict Alteration
• In this proposed solution, the integer variable ''turn'' remains track of whose turn is to enter the critical section. Originally, process A inspect turn, finds it to be 0, and come in its critical section. Process B also gets it to be 0 and sits in a loop continually testing ''turn'' to see when it becomes 1.constantly testing a variable waiting for some value to come out is called the Busy-Waiting.
taking turns is not a high-quality thought when one of the processes is much slower than the other. Suppose process 0 finishes its critical section quickly, so both processes are now in their noncritical part. This circumstance violates above mentioned condition 3.
by means of Systems calls ''sleep'' and ''wakeup''
• Essentially, what above mentioned solution do is this: when a process desires to enter in its critical section, it checks to see if then entry is permitted or not? If it is not, the process goes into stretched loop and waits (i.e., start busy waiting) until it is allowed to enter. This approach waste CPU-time.
• Now appear at some interprocess communication primitives is the pair of steep-wakeup.
o This is a system call that reasons the caller to block, that is, be suspended until any other process wakes it up.
o This is a system call that wakes up the process.
Equally ''sleep'' and ''wakeup'' system calls have one parameter that stand for a memory address used to match up ''sleeps'' and ‘wakeups’.
Posted Date: 5/2/2012 9:27:27 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion? Discussions
Write discussion on what are the Proposals for Achieving Mutual Exclusion?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
flow chart for online placement, Create systems flow chart and state trani...
Create systems flow chart and state tranistion diagram for online placement and consultancy
Computer generations, Computer Generations: From the early 1940's to t...
Computer Generations: From the early 1940's to the present, computer scientists have been able to identify clear-cut stages in the development of computer technology. With eac
Importance of good database design , Importance of Good Database Design Poo...
Importance of Good Database Design Poor database design may have results in unwanted data redundancy Poor database design keeps errors leading to bad decisions and results Practica
Visual Basic, difference between genral and event procedures
difference between genral and event procedures
Computer security, concepts and components of computer security
concepts and components of computer security
What is a view, Question (a) What is a view? (b) Can we use a view t...
Question (a) What is a view? (b) Can we use a view to insert or update a record into a table? Do we have any limitation to perform the above command? (c) The syntax to cr
What are anti-patterns, QUESTION Developers spend much more time extend...
QUESTION Developers spend much more time extending and changing code than they did originally while developing it. (a) As a team leader, illustrate how you will introduce to
Block diagram of computer, Input unit: These are used to read data and tran...
Input unit: These are used to read data and transfer to primary memory contained in CPU through keyboard or floppy disk or mouse etc. Central Processing Unit (CPU): This consists o
Unix fork program help, Will someone be able to help me with this I have tw...
Will someone be able to help me with this I have two text files that I can send. I am confused, is someone looking at this or is it still waiting to be assigned? this is the code
Cpu scheduler, Selects among the processes in memory which are ready to exe...
Selects among the processes in memory which are ready to execute & allocates the CPU to one of them CPU scheduling decisions can be taken place when a process: A. Terminates B. Swi
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.