Short note on synthetic rubber.
Sol. Synthetic rubber: main types of synthetic rubbers:
1. Styrene rubber: Buna-S;
Bu-Butadiene; Na=sodium; = Styrene
Preparation: It is a commercially important synthetic rubber, synthesized by copolymerization of butadiene and styrene. This rubber is made by free radical polymerization in an emulsion system using redox exhibitors such as hydrogen peroxide or ferrosulphate.
1. The polymer resembles natural rubber in their processing properties as well as quality.
2. Due to the irregularity in arrangement of monomers, their tensile strength is low.
3. It shows high abrasion resistance3and resilience.
4. Same of natural rubber it swells in organic solvents and oils.
5. It can be vulcanized by the conventional method using sulphur.
1. It is good substitute of natural rubber.
2. For manufacture of automobile tyres, floor tiles, gaskets, as adhesives, shoe soles etc.