Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
Spectral Hydrogen Atom, Physics, Basic Statistics
Long before Bohr gave his theory of hydrogen atom, various scientists had observed experimentally, the spectral series of hydrogen atom. Bohr offered a theoretical explanation of these spectral series as follows:
1. Lyman series: Bohr postulated Lyman series is obtained when an electron jumps to the first orbit (n1 = 1) from any outer orbit (n2 = 2, 3, 4……).
Wave numbers of spectral lines Lyman series were calculated by
v? = R [1/12 – 1/k2], where k = 2, 3, 4…
These values of v? lie in the ultra violet region of the spectrum and agree well with the values of v? observed experimentally by Lyman.
2. Balmer series: according to Bohr, Balmer series is obtained when an electron jumps to the second orbit (n1 =2) from any outer orbit (n2 = 3, 4, 5…..).
Wave numbers of these spectral lines were calculated as
v?= R [1/22 – 1/k2], where k = 3, 4, 5…..
This set of spectral lines lie in the visible part of the spectrum.
3. Paschen series: according to Bohr, Paschen series is obtained when an electron jumps to the third orbit (n1 =3) from any outer orbit (n2 = 4, 5, 6…) Bohr calculated the wave numbers of spectral lines of Paschen series from the relation:
v?= R [1/32 – 1/k2], where k = 4, 5, 6……
These values of v? lie in the infra red region of the spectrum and agree well with values of v? observed experimentally by Paschen.
Bohr also predicted two new series in the infra red region of the spectrum, which were observed later by Brackett and Pfund.
4. Bracket series: according to Bohr, Brackett series is obtained when an electron jumps to the 4th orbit (n1 = 4) from any outer orbit (n2 = 5, 6, 7……)
5. Pfund series: according to Bohr, is obtained when an electron jumps to the 5th orbit (n1 =5) from any outer orbit (n2 = 6, 7, 8…….)
The origins of various spectral series of hydrogen atom are represented by table under which gives the longest and the shortest wavelengths of some of the spectral series of hydrogen atom.
Posted Date: 1/31/2012 10:35:35 PM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
Spectral Hydrogen Atom, Physics, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Spectral Hydrogen Atom, Physics, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Spectral Hydrogen Atom, Physics Discussions
Write discussion on Spectral Hydrogen Atom, Physics
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Geometric mean, 5,2,5,8,9,9,8,7,5,2
Allocation surrounding to accounts, Allocation surrounding to accounts An a...
Allocation surrounding to accounts An aspect of a lump-sum appropriation that is specific for expenses by particular government models and/or for particular requirements, actions,
Index numbers, discuss the considerations to be borne in mind when construc...
discuss the considerations to be borne in mind when constructing index numbers
Armitage-dollmodel, Armitage-Dollmodel The model of carcinogenesis in ...
Armitage-Dollmodel The model of carcinogenesis in which the basic idea is that the essential variable determining the change in the risk is not age, but time period. The model
R programm, 1. Generate a large dataset ( at least 1000 observations) µ wit...
1. Generate a large dataset ( at least 1000 observations) µ with a known mean, µ between 20 and 40 and variance s = 9 using rnorm(). identify it as D. Use the functions mean() and
Ogive curve.., will the ogive curve eventually decrease?
will the ogive curve eventually decrease?
Angler survey, Angler survey A survey used by sport fishery managers t...
Angler survey A survey used by sport fishery managers to calculate the total catch, fishing effort and catch rate for the given body of water. For instance, the whole effort m
Frequency distribution & graphical distribution, assignment
Statistical hypotheses - anova, Your company operates a machine shop, and, ...
Your company operates a machine shop, and, having heard you had experience in statistics and design of experiments, consulted you for your opinion on an experiment they want to run
Find out the value to the firm and wacc , 1. HV Inc. is trying to determine...
1. HV Inc. is trying to determine the optimal time to undertake a product expansion. The project will require an initial investment of $15M and the firm has a WACC of 3%. The expan
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Terms & Conditions
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.