A plant layout should be designed in such a manner that it will provide safety and security of employees at all costs. Optimum plant layout calls for high operating efficiency coupled with proper safety provisions. It implies that safe and optimum planning of industrial facilities ( including operating equipments personnel and material handling equipments) is warranted.
For preventing accidents the layout should me such that:
1. Every employee has enough space to move and operate.
2. Passageways between working places roads tracks and alleys etc. Must never be obstructed.
3. It prevents the inrush of cold / hot air and draughts to the working palace.
4. Floors must be non skid type satisfactorily place and must be capable of absorbing sound .
5. Workers operating on machines should have easy access to the safety switches provided on the machine / near work place.