The observation methods is the most commonly used methods especially in studies relating to behavioural sciences. In a way we all observe things around us but this sort of observation is not scientific observation. Observation becomes a scientific tool and the methods of data collection for the researcher when it serves a formulated research purpose is systematically planned and recorded and is subjected to checks and controls on validity and reliability. Under the observation method the information is sought by way of investigator own direct observation without asking from the respondent.
The observation Method may be used to study:
1. Sales technique
2. Customers movement
3. Customer responses in retail stores
4. Sock audit in retail stores for brands bought
5. Pantry check in the kitchen of the housewife for brands bought.
6. Dust bin check at the customers house.
7. Poster research counting the number of people passing by a poster.
8. Fashions and style acceptances.