· Do not place room heaters near any inflammable materials.
· Do not use heaters to dry clothing.
· Do not smoke in bed.
· Do not use extension cords with heaters.
· Do not leave heaters unattended or go to sleep while they are on.
· Unplug heaters after they are turned off.
(b) Living room :
· Do not run electrical cables over nails or under rugs.
· Ashtrays should not be placed on chair or sofa arms.
· Electrical cords should not be stapled directly on the walls.
· Any burning cigarettes must not be left in the ashtrays.
(c) Kitchen :
· We should not cook anything wearing sleeves that may hang near the burners.
· We should not leave anything unattended on the stove when the burners are on. Taking a spoon or something else with us while needed to leave the kitchen is a good practice to work as a reminder.
· We should never use the oven to heat our home.
· We should not allow any crumbs of breads to build up on the toaster and it should be cleaned regularly.
· We should avoid building up of grease on our stove.
· Overloading of electrical outlet while using electrical appliances should be avoided.
· We should let curtains, if any, hanging in the kitchen.
· All the electrical outlets should be switched off and the kitchen should to check thoroughly before going to the bed.
(d) Whole house :
· If possible, smoke detectors should be installed on each floor.
· Escape routes should be decided in advanced in case of a fire.