Importance of Materials Management
The primary and secondary objectives listed above should themselves give us clear idea about the importance of materials management. The significance of an efficient materials management system needs no emphasis. It will facilitate the accomplishment of the followings objectives.
1. Lower prices for materials and equipment.
2. Faster inventory turnover.
3. Continuity of supply.
4. Reduced lead time.
5. Reduced transportation costs.
6. Less duplication of efforts.
7. Elimination of buck passing.
8. Reduced materials obsolescence.
9. Improved supplier relationship and better records and information.
10. Personnel development.