Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
H.W, Accounting Basics
BUS ADM-201 Fall 2012 EXTRA CREDIT 2 - Due in DS week of November 26
GRADING: Worth 15 points. Partially credit will only be given if you attempt all requirements a through g listed below.
Aberkonkie & Fitch Corporation prepares quarterly financial statements. The balance sheet at 12/31/12 is presented below.
Cash $ 24,300 Accounts payable $ 12,370
Accounts receivable 22,400 Common stock 90,000
Allowance for doubtful accounts (1,200) Retained earnings 53,130
Accumulated depreciation - equipment (15,000)
Accumulated depreciation - building (15,000)
$ 155,500 $155,500
During the first quarter of 2013, the following transactions occurred:
1. Aberkonkie & Fitch performed services during the first quarter for $140,000 on account.
2. On 2/1/13, Aberkonkie & Fitch collected fees of $12,000 in advance for $1,000 of services to be performed each month from 2/1/13 to 1/30/14.
3. On 2/1/13, Aberkonkie & Fitch purchased computer equipment for $9,000 plus sales taxes of $600. $3,000 cash was paid with the rest on account. Check #455 was used.
4. Aberkonkie & Fitch collected $133,000 on 3/5/13 from customers on account.
5. Aberkonkie & Fitch paid $16,370 on accounts payable. Check #456 was used.
6. Paid other operating expenses of $97,525. Check #457 was used.
7. Acquired a patent with a 10-year life for $9,600 cash on 3/1/13. Check #458 was used.
8. Wrote off a customer receivable of $200 who went bankrupt.
9. On 3/31/13, Aberkonkie & Fitch sold for $1,620 cash equipment which originally cost $11,000. It had an estimated life of 5 years and salvage of $1,000. Accumulated depreciation as of 12/31/12 was $8,000 using the straight line method. Record depreciation on the equipment sold, then record the sale.
10. AJE: Record revenue earned from item 2 above.
11. AJE: $26,000 of accounts receivable at 3/31/13 are not due yet. The bad debt percentage for these is 4%. The balance of A/R are past due. The bad debt percentage for these is 23.75%. Record bad debt expense.
HINT: You will need to compute the balance in accounts receivable before calculating this.
12. AJE: Depreciation is recorded on the equipment still owned at 3/31/13. The new equipment purchased in February is being depreciated on a double declining basis over 5 years and salvage value was estimated at $1,000. The old equipment still owned is being depreciated over a 10 year life using straight line with no salvage value.
13. AJE: Depreciation is recorded on the building on a straight-line basis based on a 30-year life and a salvage value of $10,000.
14. AJE: Amortization is recorded on the patent.
15. The company reconciles its bank statement every quarter. Information from the 12/31/12 Bank Reconciliation is:
Deposit in transit: 12/30/12 $5,000
Outstanding Checks #440 3,444
The Bank statement received for the quarter ended 3/31/13 is as follows:
Beginning balance per bank $ 29,787
Deposits: 1/2/13 $5,000, 2/2/13 $12,000, 3/6/13 $133,000 150,000
Checks: #452 $333, #453 $865, #456 $16,370, #457 $97,525 (115,093)
Debit memo: Bank service charge (Record as operating expense) ( 100)
Ending bank balance $ 64,594
16. AJE: The income tax rate is 30%. This amount will be paid when the tax return is due in April. Hint: Prepare the income statement up to income before taxes and multiply by 30% to compute the amount.
REQUIRED: Print out the solution pages for the general ledger, journal and worksheet that follow and enter the following transactions. I suggest that you use a pencil.
a. Enter the transactions 1-9 in the general journal provided on the following pages.
b. Enter the 12/31/12 balances in ledger accounts. Use the ledger account running balance format accounts provided on the following pages.
c. Post the journal entries to the ledger accounts for items 1 – 9.
d. Prepare an unadjusted trial balance at March 31 and enter on the worksheet. Then complete the other worksheet columns. (See below.)
Worksheet requirement: Using your unadjusted trial balance above and the data for adjusting entries, prepare a 10 column worksheet similar to the one on page 195 in the chapter 4 appendix of your text.
e. Prepare a bank reconciliation in good form. (Item 15 above.) Use your own paper. Record the necessary AJE.
f. Journalize and post all other adjusting entries. (Items 10 - 16)
g. Prepare an income statement and a retained earnings statement for the quarter ended 3/31/13 and a classified balance sheet at 3/31/13. Use your own paper. (No formatted sheets are supplied as we did for the other items.)
EXTRA CREDIT TWO SOLUTION – Name ________________________
Part a, e and f
Extra Credit 2 – General Journal Debit Credit
Part b, c and d
b. CASH DR CR BALANCE
b. ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE DR CR BALANCE
b. ALLOW FOR DOUBTFUL ACCTS DR CR BALANCE
b. EQUIPMENT DR CR BALANCE
b. ACCUM DEPR EQUIPMENT DR CR BALANCE
b. LAND DR CR BALANCE
b. BUILDING DR CR BALANCE
b. ACCUM DEPR BUILDING DR CR BALANCE
b. PATENTS DR CR BALANCE
b. ACCOUNTS PAYABLE DR CR BALANCE
b. UNEARNED REVENUE DR CR BALANCE
b. INCOME TAXES PAYABLE DR CR BALANCE
b. COMMON STOCK DR CR BALANCE
b. RETAINED EARNINGS DR CR BALANCE
b. SERVICE REVENUE DR CR BALANCE
b. OPERATING EXPENSES DR CR BALANCE
b. DEPRECIATION EXPENSE DR CR BALANCE
b. AMORTIZATION EXPENSE DR CR BALANCE
b. LOSS ON DISPOSAL DR CR BALANCE
b. BAD DEBT EXPENSE DR CR BALANCE
b. INCOME TAX EXPENSE DR CR BALANCE
Posted Date: 11/29/2012 4:44:18 PM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
H.W, Assignment Help, Ask Question on H.W, Get Answer, Expert's Help, H.W Discussions
Write discussion on H.W
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
What is timeliness, Q. What is Timeliness? The Timeliness requires acco...
Q. What is Timeliness? The Timeliness requires accountants to provide accounting information at a time when it perhaps considered in reaching a decision. Usefulness of informat
Cost, how much is it to get a tutor, per hour or package? i am in an mba pr...
how much is it to get a tutor, per hour or package? i am in an mba program now
Partner ship acconts, leagl provision of partner ship accounts
leagl provision of partner ship accounts
At the end of the current year, At the end of the current year, $19,900 of ...
At the end of the current year, $19,900 of fees have been earned but not billed to clients. a. What is the adjustment to record the accrued fees? Indicate each account affect
Cost of goods sold , find cost of goods sold
find cost of goods sold
After the accounts are adjusted and closed at the end, After the accounts a...
After the accounts are adjusted and closed at the end of the fiscal year, Accounts Receivable has a balance of $673,400, and Allowance for Doubtful Accounts has a balance of $11,90
Find the balance at the end of 6 years of $5000 investment, Find the balanc...
Find the balance at the end of 6 years of $5000 investment in an account with a nominal annual rate of interest of 2.5% compounded quarterly over the first two years and then gro
The classified balance sheet, Dunmore Coal and Iron purchased $1,000,000 in...
Dunmore Coal and Iron purchased $1,000,000 in corporate bonds and 500,000 shares of common stock in its competitor, Olyphant Iron. Dunmore plans to hold onto the bonds until the ma
Procidure, explain the procidure followed in government system of accountin...
explain the procidure followed in government system of accounting in india?
Explain about predictive value and feedback value, Q. Explain about Predict...
Q. Explain about Predictive value and feedback value? Several suggest using a different valuation basis such as current cost in reporting such assets. Predictive value and feed
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.