The objectives of assignment are to determine what best practices apply to project implementation and close out, and to apply your individual knowledge of the quantitative topics to a second case study project example.
You are to read the case study (which is reproduced over the page) and answer ALL EIGHT (8) of the following questions and sub questions relating to the Implementation and Closing stages of the project, and in particular, to Scope, Time, Cost, progress monitoring and reporting, and project completion. Each question is of equal marks, with an additional mark (equivalent to one question) assigned for overall presentation, logical structure and depth of knowledge.
Except where the questions are worded otherwise, the answers should be prepared and presented as if they were a part of an overall management review or report on the project. The information should be presented in a format suitable to a reader of a formal Project Plan or business report, not as an academic discourse or essay.
However, you are expected to back up your comments and recommendations by including a reference list showing your sources and indicating you have done a literature search on the relevant concepts of implementing projects.
Please keep each answer short, in the range of 1 to 2 pages in length. You do not need to provide a long essay format answer - bullet or table format for each answer (and possibly a flow chart if relevant) is quite acceptable, to ensure no disadvantage to non-native speakers of English.
The topics/questions for Assessment Report 2 are as follows:
- What are the critical issues/potential problems in this project in ensuring full delivery of scope?
- Explain how you will verify delivery of scope across the project Implement and Closing Phases.
- Which stakeholders will have the greatest input to approving the scope of work?
- Using the data in Table 1 of the case study, perform a Critical Path Analysis (CPA) to determine the most likely time required to complete the project.
- How sensitive would this analysis be to errors in estimation?
- What estimation process or additional data would you recommend to ensure a more reliable schedule? (Note: process or data required may be different for various components of the plan).
- Using the critical path analysis in the previous question, develop a baseline plan (S-Curve) for the project. In the absence of cost data, you may use the estimated time as a measure of resource usage and thus cost.
As a project manager, how would you use the S-Curve and Earned Value in status reporting, controlling and monitoring the project?
What measures would you use to monitor progress and to estimate your earned value?
- Assuming that the project will proceed to the implementation phase, develop a comprehensive risk management plan incorporating the key risks, their likelihood of occurrence, potential impacts and consequences in the project.
- What action plans would you suggest to manage these risks? (Highlight the appropriate responsibilities, reporting, monitoring and controlling mechanisms over the implementation phase of the project).
- Identify and describe 4 major risks in this project, your response to them and yourcontingency plan if applicable.
- Indicate two key quality controls you would use for the project overall, and one key quality control for each of these phases of the project - Planning and Design, Build, Implementation - and
- describe how they will be monitored and measured during the project implementation stage.
- What specific actions would you take to ensure clear roles and responsibilities for the Supplier, and to ensure timely delivery of their components during the implementation phase?
7. Project Closure
- Outline what implementation plans may be required to ensure proper handover of the deliverables to the customer(s) in this project.
- Describe what other tasks may be required to close out this project to the satisfaction of the major stakeholders.
- What are the critical issues in getting an implementation plan/project management plan approved for the entire project?
- What would be your short term priority actions and management strategy for moving forward and ensuring successful delivery of the project?
- What organisation structure (with overall roles and responsibilities) do you envisage will be required to represent the interests of various groups involved in the project? (Do not go into a lot of detail here - just outline main parties and roles).