Answer the following questions. Show all work.
1. Carbohydrates = _____ kcals/g
Proteins = _____ kcals/g
Fats= _____ kcals/g
Alcohol= _____ kcals/g
Nitrogen Balance Studies
Nitrogen Balance (NB) = Nitrogen Intake (NI) - Nitrogen Loss (NL)
NB > -5g/day = severe stress
NB = 0 to -5g/day = moderate stress
NI = Protein intake (g/day ÷ 6.25)
NL = Urinary Urea Nitrogen (UUN, in g/day) + 4 g
UUN is derived from a 24-hour urine specimen
Normal range = 6 - 17 grams/24 hours
+ NB = anabolic state with a net gain in body protein
- NB = catabolic state with a net loss in body protein
Q 2 below use the above information on Nitrogen balance to:
a. Calculate the client's recommended protein intake.
b. Calculate the client's NB.
c. Indicate whether the client is in + or - nitrogen balance.
d. Discuss the implications of the findings.
2. 89-year-old male, weight 142 lbs., protein intake of 69 grams and UUN = 6 grams
Proteins from Foods
Go to the following website to answers questions 1-3Do not close the window until you have answered all of the questions.
On the website, click on Protein to answer questions 1 through 3.
3. Complementary proteins do not include all of the essential amino acids.
4. Research studies have changed the idea that foods must be eaten at the same meal to achieve the concept of complementary proteins.
5. Match the amount of protein with the food selection.
a. ½ cup of milk
b. 3 ounces of meat
c. 1 cup of dry beans
d. 8 ounces of yogurt
e. ½ cup of dry beans
_____ 4 grams of protein
_____ 8 grams of protein
_____ 11 grams of protein
_____ 16 grams of protein
_____ 21 grams of protein
Take the quiz, and use the information/answers obtained to answer the following questions. Do not close the window until you are done answering the questions.
6. The daily RDA requirement for protein is 0.8 g/kg.
7. Proteins can be used interchangeably in the body because they have similar structures.
8. Yogurt is an example of an incomplete protein.
9. The Daily Value for protein is 50 grams.