Alkaline earth metals:
The elements Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, Ba and Ra belong to II A group.
2. II A group elements are also called alkaline earth metals.
3. The valence electronic configuration of group II A elements is ns (n = 2,3, .......)2
4. Mg and Ca are abundant in nature in the form of their oxides and halides.
5. Radium is a Radioactive element.
6. Atomic size of group II A elements increases from Be to Ra.
7. Ionization energies and electronegativity of Group II A elements decrease from Be to Ra.
8. Group II A elements are very reactive and hence do not occur in elemental state.
9. These elements react with
(i) Water to liberate hydrogen
(ii) Oxygen to form oxides and
(iii) Halogens to form halides.
10. Oxides of these elements are basic in nature.
11. All group IIA elements form hydrides of type MH , which act as reducing reagents.
12. BeCl2 is covalent. Other halides are ionic.
13. Group IIA elements are extracted from their chlorides by electrolytic reduction.
14. KCl and NaCl are added to anhydrous MgCl2 during the Mg extraction to lower the melting point and also increase the electrical conductivity.
15. Graphite rod and iron pot act as anode and cathode respectively during the electrolysis of MgCl2.