The aims of the project are:
1. To enable the students to undertake the detailed design of a specific plant or process
2. The design projects includes: process selection; underpinning research; specification of a process flowsheet; steady state mass & energy balances through the flowsheet; detailed chemical engineering design of specific items related to the flowsheet; mechanical design; Instrumentation and Control; economics and costing; safety considerations; environmental considerations; sustainability and ethical considerations and other associated features, as required.
3. Students will work in groups to specify the process and undertake mass & energy balances
4. Students will work individually on the design of specific process items
5. Each students will report his/her work in a comprehensive design portfolio
Changes made to the design project for this year.
1) The design project has been changed this year for one year only. This year all students will study the same process but with a different feed stock for each group.
2) A series of support lectures have been added to help with the production of the report