Advantages of Predetermined Motion Time System
a. They enable development of standards before the job is started,
b. They have been tested extensively in the laboratory and field.
c. They include performance rating in the times given in the tables so users need not calculate them.
d. They are accepted as part of many union contracts.
Disadvantages of Predetermined Motion Time System
1. It is applicable only for the hand, eye and body motions of an individual ( not for group work or for anything other than hand eye body motions) process times and or machine times if any may have to be established by other means.
2. Although it offers advantages of clarity of comprehension for trained analysts it may baffle the ordinary worker with too lengthy details.
3. Allowances for other than ordinary working conditions becomes very important / critical in the calculation of the standard times. The stopwatch time study implicitly takes care of a major fraction of these allowances due to its direct observation techniques .
4. Jobs involving extremely high degree of control cannot be measured by it.
5. The detailed analysis consume much time and therefore the economics may not favour measurement of non repetitive work with this method.