Reference no: EM131405723
Query Article for the Final Feature Article
For this assignment, you will write a query letter to be presented with your specific ideas for the Final Feature Article. The query letter must include the following:
1. Include the contact information including a proper greeting for the query letter.
2. Create a strong lead that is informative and compelling.
3. Develop a supporting paragraph.
4. Describe unique selling points.
5. Include previous work to demonstrate expertise and credibility.
6. Create a concluding paragraph that summarizes the topic.
7. Provide a preliminary list of four sources of information including:
a. Interview of a source with a similar point of view on the topic or issue.
b. Interview of a source with an opposing point of view on the topic or issue.
c. Source from a leading journal located in the Ashford University Library.
d. Source from the CQ Researcher database (located in the Ashford University Library) on the topic or issue.
The format for this assignment should follow this Sample Query Letter. You will be able to click on the links for extended explanations on each section of the letter.
Assignment 1: Creating Engaging Leads
All leads are not created equal. Leads to stories must be written with the audience in mind. After reading Creating Engaging Leads, you will choose one story and write two leads for that story. One lead will be for a daily newspaper and the other lead will be for a national newspaper. For each lead, you must:
1. Formulate a lead sentence that draws the audience in by using a writing technique appropriate for a daily audience and for a national audience.
2. Develop a summary lead that answers at least three of the five "w's" (who, what, where, when, and why) appropriate for a daily newspaper and for a national newspaper.
3. Create a lead that is concise, consisting of no more than 25 words appropriate for a daily newspaper and for a national newspaper.
The leads must be written in Associated Press (AP) style.
Assignment 2: Opinion Piece
Online education is something that is discussed quite frequently in our society. As a student in the online environment you should be able to write an opinion piece for a specified audience that is concise, clear, and convincing regarding your point of view.
Write a 300-word opinion piece that includes the following:
1. Develop a summary lead that is concise, engaging, and answers at least three of the five "w's."
2. Differentiate various opinions about the benefits, challenges, and future of online education.
3. Conclude with a strong self-opinion about online education.
The piece must include at least one source of information. The piece must be written in Associated Press (AP) style. You must fully identify the source of information for the piece in a way that does not detract from it. A list of sources must be included after the article according to the reference template.
When writing a news feature, the focus is on hard news with a style that lends itself to feature writing. For this assignment, you will investigate current, controversial news topics by reading the newspaper, watching the news, or getting news via some form or digital media. The topic that you choose can be of local, national, or international reach. Once you choose your topic, you will choose a real-world publication for which you will imagine that you are a feature writer.
Write a 500-word news feature that meets the following criteria:
1. Formulate a summary lead that is concise, engaging, and that includes at least three of the five "w's."
2. Examine various perspectives gathered from the CQ Researcher database utilizing quotes and attributions.
3. Organize the story by creating logical connections and using transitions throughout the story.
4. Use a graphic image that aligns with the story.
The piece must be written in Associated Press (AP) style. You must fully identify the source of information for the piece in a way that does not detract from it. A list of sources must be included after the article according to the reference template.