What would be the expected net present value

Assignment Help Financial Accounting
Reference no: EM132607259

Fair Oil owns a tract of land that may be rich with oil. Fair must decide whether or not to drill on this land. Fair estimates that the project would cost $25 million today (t = 0), and generate positive net cash flows of $10 million a year at the end of each of the next four years (t = 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Question a) If the company chooses to drill today, what is the project's net present value (NPV)?

While the company is fairly confident about its cash flow forecast, it recognizes that if it waits 1 year, it would have more information about the local geology and the price of oil. Fair estimates that if it waits one year, the project will cost $26 million (at t = 1). If Fair Oil waits a year, there is an 80% chance that market conditions will be favorable, in which case the project will generate net cash flows of $12 million a year for four years (t =2, 3, 4, and 5). There is a 20% chance that market conditions will be poor, in which case the project will generate net cash flows of $2 million a year for four years (t = 2, 3, 4, and 5). After finding out the market conditions at t = 1, Fair will then decide whether to invest in the project (i.e., it is not obligated to undertake the project). Assume that all cash flows are discounted at 10 percent.

Question b) Fair must decide if it makes sense for the company to wait a year to drill. If it waits a year, what would be the expected net present value (NPV) at t = 0? (HINT: If market conditions are poor at t=1, the firm will not implement the project, so the probabilities and cash flows associated with the poor conditions are irrelevant and can be ignored)

Question c) What is the value of the timing option?

Reference no: EM132607259


Write a Review


Financial Accounting Questions & Answers

  Cost data pertain to the operations

The following cost data pertain to the operations of Bouffard Department Stores, Inc., for the month of May. Corporate legal office salaries $ 68,000 Shoe Dept. cost of sales--Brentwood 29,000 Corporate headquarters building lease 86,000 Store manage..

  Shilling uses the perpetual inventory system

On May 1, Shilling Company, Inc. sold merchandise in the amount of $5,800 to Anders, with credit terms of 2/10, n/30. The cost of the items sold is $4,000. Shilling uses the perpetual inventory system. The journal entry or entries that Shilling will ..

  Total compensation cost pertaining to the stock options

Under its executive stock option plan, National Corporation granted options on January 1, 2013, that permit executives to purchase 20 million of the company’s $1 par common shares within the next seven years, but not before December 31, 2016 (the ves..

  Evaluation of target cost to maintain a target profit rate

Evaluation of Target Cost to maintain a Target Profit Rate - To maintain a target profit equal to 35 percent of the new product's cost, what will the target cost be.

  Deduct the expenses associated with professional golf

Ted is a successful attorney, but when he turned 50 years old he decided to retire from his law practice and become a professional golfer. Ted has been a very successful amateur golfer, so beginning this year Ted began competing in professional golf ..

  Determine the appropriate presentation currency

What is the difference between the presentation currency and the functional currency? How would an organisation determine the appropriate presentation currency

  Compute the equivalent units for the month

Compute the equivalent units for the month for the first department and determine the costs per equivalent unit for themonth.

  Regarding the book values of business assets and liabilities

On March 1, 2014, Eric Keene and Abigail McKee form a partnership. Keene agrees to invest $21,100 in cash and merchandise inventory valued at $55,900. McKee invests certain business assets at valuations agreed upon, transfers business liabilities, an..

  What is the time value of money

Explain using the scenario and draw a timeline depicting all the Cash flows associated with Obrien's view of the retirement annuity

  Calculate the missing amounts

Cash budget The monthly cash budgets for the second quarter of 2010 follow ($000 omitted) for Morrison Mfg. Co

  Discuss necessary preparation and planning for the lily firm

Discuss the necessary preparation and planning for the Lily Company annual audit before beginning field work at the client's office.

  What is the firms ROA

A firm has a profit margin of 15 percent on sales of 20,000,000. if the firm has debt of 7,500,00 and total assets of 22,500,000 what is the firms ROA?

Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd