Satisfied with blades current setup of exporting speedos

Assignment Help Financial Management
Reference no: EM131524843

As a financial analyst for Blades, Inc. you are reasonably satisfied with Blades' current setup of exporting "Speedos" (roller blades) to Thailand. Due to the unique arrangement with Blades' primary customer in Thailand, forecasting the revenue to be generated there is a relatively easy task. Specifically, your customer has agreed, for a period of three years, to purchase 180,000 pairs of Speedos annually at a price of THB4,594 per pair. The current direct quotation of the dollar-baht exchange rate is $0.024. The cost of goods sold incurred in Thailand (due to imports of the rubber and plastic components from Thailand) runs at approximately THB2,871 per pair of Speedos, but Blades currently only imports materials sufficient to manufacture about 72,000 pairs of Speedos. Blades' primary reason for using a Thai supplier is both the high quality of the components as well as the low cost, which has been facilitated by a continuing depreciation of the Thai baht against the U.S. dollar. If the dollar cost of buying components becomes more expensive in Thailand than in the United States, Blades is contemplating providing its U.S. supplier with the additional business. Your plan is quite simple; Blades is currently using its Thai-denominated revenues to cover the cost of goodssold incurred there. During the last year, excess revenue was converted to U.S. dollars at the prevailing exchange rate. However, although your cost of goods sold is not fixed contractually as the Thai revenues are, you expect them to remain relatively constant in the near future. Consequently, the baht-denominated cash inflows are fairly predictable each year because the Thai customer has committed to the purchase of 180,000 pairs of Speedos at a fixed price. The excess dollar revenue resulting from the conversion of baht is used either to support the U.S. production of Speedos if needed or to invest in the United States. Specifically, the revenues are used to cover cost of goods sold in the U.S. manufacturing plant, located in Omaha, Nebraska. Ben Holt, Blades' CFO, notices that Thailand's interest rates are approximately 15 percent (versus 8 percent in the United States). You interpret the high interest rates in Thailand as an indication of the uncertainty resulting from the Asian crisis. Ben Holt asks you to assess the feasibility of investing Blades' excess funds from Thailand operations in Thailand at an interest rate of 15 percent. After you communicate your opposition to his plan, Ben Holt asks you to detail the reasons in a detailed report.

1. One point of concern for you is that there is a tradeoff between the higher interest rates in Thailand and the delayed conversion of baht into dollars. Explain what this means.

2. If the net baht received from the Thailand operation are invested in Thailand, how willU.S. operations be affected? (Assume that Blades is currently paying 10 percent on dollars borrowed and needs more financing for its firm.)

Reference no: EM131524843

Reviews

Write a Review

 

Financial Management Questions & Answers

  Find the combination of notional principals

Find the combination of notional principals that would make your overall position be delta hedged, gamma hedged, and vega hedged.

  What is this bonds current yield

A company has issued a 7% coupon bond payable in 10 years that is currently valued in the market at 95. What is this bond's current yield?

  Speculate on securities in order to help our company grow

To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement on a scale of 1 to 5 where 1 = strongly disagree and 5 = strongly agree. Please explain your answer. "As the Chief Financial Officer, I allocate 5% of our cash reserves each year to..

  Why is given value irrelevant for an american put

The value Max[0, X(1 + r)-T - S0] was shown to be the lowest possible value of a European put. Why is this value irrelevant for an American put?

  What is the conversion value of the bond

Plunkett gym equipment inc. has a $1,000 par value convertible bond outstanding that can be converted in 45 shares of common stock. The common stock is currently selling for $27.60 per share and the convertible bond is selling for $1,277.50

  Uses the subjective approach and applies adjustment factor

Hankins, Inc., is considering a project that will result in initial aftertax cash savings of $5.9 million at the end of the first year, and these savings will grow at a rate of 3 percent per year indefinitely. The cost-saving proposal is somewhat ris..

  Forward exchange rate between the two currencies

relationship between the interest rate differential of two currencies and the forward premium on forward exchange rate between the two currencies.

  Compute the total present value

Compute the total present value of $300,000 two years from now and $400,000 four years from now given a 10 percent discount rate.

  What is the expected value of the outcomes

Firm X is considering a project and its analysts have projected the following outcomes and their probabilities. 30% chance of Net Income being $4,600; 45% chance of Net Income being $7,800 and 25% chance of Net Income being $13,500. What is the expec..

  Which lease do you prefer

Car dealer B offers the same lease at a flat $300 per month. - Which lease do you prefer if the interest rate is 0.5% per month?

  Earning interest at the rate

When you were born, your grandfather established a trust fund for you in the Cayman Islands. The account has been earning interest at the rate of 10% per year. If this account will be worth $150,000 on your 25th birthday, how much did your grandfathe..

  Indifferent between accepting the project and not accepting

Your firm is contemplating the purchase of a new $592,000 computer-based order entry system. The system will be depreciated straight-line to zero over its 5-year life. It will be worth $57,600 at the end of that time.  At what level of pretax cost sa..

Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd