Reference no: EM131522691
Incident Response (IR) Strategic Decisions
Suppose that you have been alerted of a potential incident involving a suspected worm spreading via buffer overflow techniques, compromising Microsoft IIS Web servers. As the IR Team leader, it is your responsibility to determine the next steps.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
1. Explain in detail the initial steps that would need to be made by you and the IR team in order to respond to this potential incident.
2. Construct a process-flow diagram that illustrates the process of determining the incident containment strategy that would be used in this scenario, and identify which containment strategy would be appropriate in this case, through the use of graphical tools in Visio, or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
3. Construct a process flow diagram to illustrate the process(es) for determining if / when notification of the incident should be relayed to upper management, and explain how those communications should be structured and relayed through the use of graphical tools in Visio, or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
4. Detail the incident recovery processes for the resolution of this incident.
5. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Summarize the various types of disasters, response and recovery methods.
- Develop techniques for different disaster scenarios.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in disaster recovery.
- Write clearly and concisely about disaster recovery topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.