Despite of the dominance of digital circuits in Electronics, Signal Processing and Communication, analog circuits are indispensable in several applications such as amplification, rectification, continuous-time filters, A/D and D/A converters and signal conditioning. Therefore, It is necessary to learn basic discrete analog electronic circuits as well as some most versatile analog building blocks such as the IC op-amp and the IC timer. In this unit, we will discuss rectifiers and basic transistor amplifiers in the domain of discrete electronic circuits and IC op-amp, IC voltage regulator and IC timer, in the category of analog integrated circuits. We shall also briefly discuss the inverter, the electro-mechanical microphones, speakers and piezo-electric transducers.
After studying this unit, you should be able to
- understand several rectifier circuits,
- explain an inverter, electromechanical microphones, speakers and piezo-electric transducers,
- understand the basic transistor amplifier configurations,
- analyze several circuits using ideal op-amps,
- understand the characteristics of ideal and practical op-amps,
- understand the internal circuit of µA 741 IC op-amp,
- understand the importance of several non ideal parameters of the IC
- op-amps and their effect on the performance op-amp circuits,
- describe the working of regulators,
- understand the circuit and applications of the IC regulator µA 723,
- understand the internal block diagram of IC timer 555 and understand its various modes of operation, and
- understand astable and mono stable modes of operation of IC 555 timer.