Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
what is deadlock ?Differentiate two types of resources ?, Basic Computer Science
• A set of process is in a deadlock state if each process in the group is waiting for an event that can be caused by only another process in the set. In other words, each member of the group of deadlock processes is waiting for a resource that can be released only by a deadlock process. Not any of the processes can run, none of them can release any resources, and not any of them can be awakened. It is significant to note that the number of processes and the number and kind of resources possessed and requested are unimportant.
• The simplest instance of deadlock is where process 1 has been allocated non-shareable resources A, say, a tap drive, and process 2 has be owed non-sharable resource B, say, a printer. At present, if it turns out that process 1 needs resource B (printer) to proceed and process 2 needs resource A (the tape drive) to proceed and these are the only two processes in the system, each one is blocked the other and all valuable work in the system stops. This state is termed deadlock. The system is in deadlock state since each process holds a resource being requested by the other process neither process is willing to release the resource it holds.
• The resources may be either physical or logical. Instances of physical resources are Printers, Tape Drivers, Memory Space, and CPU Cycles. Instances of logical resources are Files, Semaphores, and Monitors.
• Preemptable and Nonpreemptable Resources
Resources come in two types: preemptable and nonpreemptable.
A preemptable resource is one that can be taken away from the process with no ill effects. Memory is an instance of a preemptable resource. Alternatively, a nonpreemptable resource is one that cannot be taken away from process (with no causing ill effect). For instance, CD resources are not preemptable at an arbitrary instant.
Reallocating resources can determine deadlocks that involve preemptable resources. Deadlocks that occupy nonpreemptable resources are hard to deal with.
Posted Date: 5/3/2012 1:18:06 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
what is deadlock ?Differentiate two types of resources ?, Assignment Help, Ask Question on what is deadlock ?Differentiate two types of resources ?, Get Answer, Expert's Help, what is deadlock ?Differentiate two types of resources ? Discussions
Write discussion on what is deadlock ?Differentiate two types of resources ?
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Variable - concept of programming language, Variable - Concept of programmi...
Variable - Concept of programming language: Variable: As referencing memory by its physical address is very tedious, variable names are used. A variable is a symbolic name giv
Aaa arithmetic instruction of micro processor, examples
Bidirectional search-artificial intelligence, Bidirectional Search-Artifici...
Bidirectional Search-Artificial intelligence: We've concentrated so far on searches where the point of the search is to search a solution, not the path to the solution. In anot
Define Multilevel Queue Scheduling?, • A multilevel queue scheduling algori...
• A multilevel queue scheduling algorithm divides the ready queue in several separate queues, for example • In a multilevel queue scheduling processes are lastingly assigned to one
Explain the characteristics of vector processing, Question 1 Draw the bloc...
Question 1 Draw the block diagram of von Neumann Architecture and explain about its parts in brief Question 2 Draw the block diagram of Intel 8085 CPU organization and explai
Explain briefly about das, Question 1 What is Content Addressable Storage?...
Question 1 What is Content Addressable Storage? Explain the elements of Content Addressable Storage Question 2 Explain briefly about DAS Question 3 Explain about N
What is meant by clock skew and clock drift among clocks, QUESTION (a) ...
QUESTION (a) Describe what is meant by Clock Skew and Clock Drift among clocks in a distributed system. (b) A clock is reading 08:25:46.0 (hr:min:sec) when it is discovered
Base, 123 is not valid in which base value
123 is not valid in which base value
Database design and mgmt, how to convert ErD to 3NF relational schema
how to convert ErD to 3NF relational schema
Create email account, Create Email Account: For sending or receiving e...
Create Email Account: For sending or receiving email, you need to have to an email account. The email account may be provided by the organization for which you are working or
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.