Temperature Measurement by Using Thermometers:
To measure temperature at temperature scale should be devised assigning arbitrary numbers to a known specific level of hotness. A thermometer is a measuring device that is used to yield a number at each of these levels. Some material property that varies linearly with hotness is used for measurement of temperature. The thermometer will be ideal if it measures the temperature at all level.
There are various types of thermometer in use that have their own thermometric property.
1. Constant volume gas thermometer (Pressure P)
2. Constant pressure gas thermometer (Volume V)
3. Electrical Resistance thermometer (Resistance R)
4. Mercury thermometer (Length L)
5. Thermocouple (Electromotive force E)
6. Pyrometer (Intensity of radiation J)