Returns to Scale in Carpet Industry
* The carpet industry has grown from the small industry to large industry with some large firms.
- Can the growth be illustrated by the presence of economies to scale?
* Are there economies of scale?
- Costs (or percent of cost)
* Large Manufacturers
- Increased in machinery and labor
- Doubling inputs has doubled output
- Economies of scale are there for large producers
* Small Manufacturers
- Small increases in scale have no impact on output
- Proportional increases in inputs proportionally increase output - Constant returns to scale for the small producers