1. How does true motility differ from Brownian movement?
2. What morphological structure is responsible for bacterial motility?
3. Why is a wet preparation discarded in disinfectant solution or biohazard container?
4. What is the value of a hanging-drop preparation?
5. What is the value of a wet-mount preparation?
Define acidic and basic dyes. What is the purpose of each?
What is the purpose of fixing a slide that is to be stained?
Why are the specimens to be stained suspended in sterile saline or distilled water?
Which of the microscope objectives is most satisfactory for studying bacteria? Why?
How does a stained preparation compare with a hanging drop for studying the morphology and motility of bacteria?
List and define the basic shapes of bacteria. What are the dimensions of an average bacillus in micrometers? In centimeters?
List at least three types of bacteria whose names reflect their shapes and arrangements, and state the meaning of each name.
For what reason do we need to stain bacteria?