Prepare the journal book, Financial Accounting

On January 1, 2014, Offshore Corporation erected a drilling platform at a cost of $5,420,142. Offshore is legally required to dismantle and remove the platform at the end of its 6 year useful life, at an estimated cost of $943,065. Offshore estimates that 70% of the cost of dismantling and removing the platform is caused by acquiring the asset itself, and that the remaining 30% of the cost is caused by using the platform in production. The present value of the increase in asset retirement obligation related to the production of oil in 2014 and 2015 was $32,092 and $34,659, respectively. The estimated residual value of the drilling platform is zero, and Offshore uses straight-line depreciation. Offshore prepares financial statements in accordance with IFRS.


Prepare the journal entries to record the acquisition of the drilling platform, and the asset retirement obligation for the platform, on January 1, 2014. An appropriate interest or discount rate is 8%.
Prepare any journal entries required for the platform and the asset retirement obligation at December 31, 2014

 

Posted Date: 2/18/2014 3:25:55 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Prepare the journal book, Assignment Help, Ask Question on Prepare the journal book, Get Answer, Expert's Help, Prepare the journal book Discussions

Write discussion on Prepare the journal book
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
An investor holds a bullish view for the equity market over the next twelve months and wishes to recalibrate his portfolio to reflect this view. The investor's portfolio consists o

The Major Assignment Business Case Study is about American Cable Communications' proposed acquisition of the firm Air Thread Connections. The case study is available from the folde

Wider-range Investments (Requiring advice in writing from a properly qualified person) Quoted shares of a company with a paid-up capital of not less than Shs10m and has

Simon Corporation's bonds have 12 years left over to maturity. Interest is paid yearly, the bonds have a $1,000 par value, and the coupon interest rate is 11.5%. The bonds have a y

Number of Periods of a one Payment a) If you deposit money today in an account that pays 7.5% yearly interest, how long will it take to double your money? b) What's the future

Leverage or Gearing Ratios - These ratios include the Long Term Debt to Equity Ratio, Total Debt to Equity Ratio, Interest Coverage Ratio. Here, the interest coverage ratio is al

Resulting trusts Resulting trusts occur where equity regards the property which is held by a trustee as belonging in equity to the person who transferred it to, or caused it to

Ace Company has a 30 percent marginal tax rate and uses a 12% discount rate to compute NPV. The firm started a venture that will yield the following before-tax cash flows: year 0,

QUESTION 1: P A RT A You  are  given with  the  following information relating to Rooney PLC . The accountant is currently developing the budget for the next three mo

Wendy is evaluating a capital budgeting project that should last for 4 years. The project requires $ 800,000 of equipment. She is unsure what depreciation method to use in her anal