The poisson Distribution was discovered by French mathematician simon denis poisson. It is a discrete probability distribution.
In binomial distribution if the value of is very large (n=) and the values of p is too small (p-0) and np is finite number, in this situation the binomial distribution is not suitable to be used. In other words. The poisson distribution is applicable where the successful events in the total events are few.
Situations where poisson distribution is applicable
1. Number of defective blades out of total blades produced in a factory .
2. Number of goals scored at a football match, wherein number of attempts may be a lot of but the success are few.
3. Number of mistakes found in the pages of a book published by a repute press.
4. Number of telephone calls done during every 5 minutes by a businessman.
5. Number of typing errors per page in a typed material.,
6. No of accidents met by a taxi driver in a year.
7. The arrival of customers arriving per hour at the super market.
8. The arrival of trains arriving per10 minutes in the railway yard.
9. Number of flying bombs per year in a small area.