The code should be nicely formatted with plenty of comments. It should be easy to read, properly
The summary section should include three parts:
(1) Record the running time in Table 1
(2) Discuss your result in Table 1 (1-2 pages), and cite 1-2 references to support your discussion
(3) What was learned by doing this project
Your results must be presented clearly and be reproducible.
File 1 File 2 File 3
II. Project Description
You must use fork and pipe to complete this project.
This project creates processes to add all numbers in a file. The user will enter a number (1, 2, or 4) of parallel processes to create for processing the numbers. The system will then create this many processes, evenly dividing the file contents between the processes. For example, if the file has 1000 numbers and the user wants 4 processes, then each process would process 250 numbers in the file.
III. System Description
The system is illustrated in the diagram shown below. The processes are as follows:
1. Parent process. This process allows user to input the number of processes to create (1, 2, or 4). It determines what portion of the file each process must work on and informs the process via a pipe. It then waits for each child to report its result. Once each result is received, it combines the results prints the overall result.
2. Child process. Receive which part of the file to process. Process the file and send results back to the parent process.