Level of significance - hypothesis testing , Operation Research

Level of Significance

In testing a given  hypothesis  the maximum  probability with which  we would  be willing  to take  risk is called  level of  significance of the  test. This probability  often  denoted by  is generally specified before sample  are draw.

The level of significance  usually  employed in  testing of significance  are 0.05 ( or 5%) and 0.01 ( or 1%). If  for example  a 0.05 or 5% level of  significance  is chosen  in deriving a test of hypothesis  then there  are about  5 chances in 100 that we  would  reject the  hypothesis  when it  should  be accepted ( i .e.). we are about 95% confident that we made the right  decision. In  such a case we say that the hypothesis  has been  rejected at 5 % level  of significance which  means that we  could  be wrong  with  probability 0.05.

Note : Critical Region : A region  in the sample  space S which  amounts  to rejection of HO is termed  as critical region or region of  rejection.

 

Posted Date: 2/26/2013 5:16:54 AM | Location : United States







Related Discussions:- Level of significance - hypothesis testing , Assignment Help, Ask Question on Level of significance - hypothesis testing , Get Answer, Expert's Help, Level of significance - hypothesis testing Discussions

Write discussion on Level of significance - hypothesis testing
Your posts are moderated
Related Questions
Why Two regression Lines Once regression line  cannot  minimize the sum  of square of deviations  for both  the x and Y series  unless the relationship  between  them  indicat

These models are used for analyzing a system which changes over a period of time among various possible outcomes or states. The models while dealing with such systems describe tra

b. A paper mill produces two grades of paper viz., X and Y. Because of raw material restrictions, it cannot produce more than 400 tons of grade X paper and 300 tons of grade Y pape

1. Investigate: The Operations Strategy of your organisation or one you are familiar with and answer the following points. Does your chosen organisation have an operations

Method of Calculation of Mean  Deviation a. Computation of Mean Deviation Individual Series : The process of computing mean  deviation in case  of individual series involves

Regression Line The line  of regression  is the  line  which give the best  estimate  to the  values  of one  variable  for any  specific  values  of other  variable. For t

Question: (a) (i) Explain what do you understand by ‘Dynamic Programming'. (ii) Describe the dynamic programming approach to solve the shortest route problem. (iii) Outli

A paper mill products two grade of paper viz., X & Y. Because of raw material restriction, it cannot produce more than 400 tons of grade X paper & 300 tons of grade Y paper in a we

A paper mill produces two grades of paper viz., X and Y. Because of raw material restrictions, it cannot produce more than 400 tons of grade X paper and 300 tons of grade Y paper i

Problems based on LPP when feasible region is a line segment or it does not exist. 1.    Maximize z = 2x+3y subject to the constraints X + y ≤ 1 X + y ≥ 3 X,  y ≥ 0