Impact of economic reforms on labour, Microeconomics

Assignment Help:

Impact of Economic Reforms on Labour:

It would be of interest to study the industrial relations scenario in the pre-reform and post-reform period. Data provided in table 8.4 reveals that during 1981-90 - the decade before the introduction of economic reforms, a total of 402 million mandays were lost, out of which 216 million (53.8 per cent) were accounted for by strikes and the remaining about 186 million (46.2 per cent) were due to lockouts. However, in the decade following economic reforms i.e. 1991-2000 - the post reform period witnessed a decline in the total number of mandays lost to 230 million, out of which strikes accounted for 92 million (39.8 per cent) and lockouts for 138 million (60.2 per cent). This implies that the proportion of mandays loss due to lockouts was much higher in the post-reform period than in pre-reform period. As a result of the policies of privatisation followed by the state, employers got emboldened and this increased employers' militancy. 

Even during the 3-year period (2001-03), the situation further worsened and the proportion of mandays lost due to lockouts went up to 77 per cent as against only 23 per cent due to strikes.

 


Related Discussions:- Impact of economic reforms on labour

Price floor , Suppose that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) admini...

Suppose that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) administers the price floor for cheese, set at $0.17 per pound of cheese. (The price floor is officially set at $16.10 per hu

Rationale for the intervention of government, 1. Describe why government re...

1. Describe why government regulation is required, citing the major reasons for government involvement in a market economy. 2. Justify the rationale for the intervention of gove

What do you mean by benefits, Q. What do you mean by Benefits? The bene...

Q. What do you mean by Benefits? The benefit of a project, policy or programme is the positive, expected aspect of an outcome, including the improvement in environmental qualit

Explain hard currency, International economic relations also vary, in large...

International economic relations also vary, in large measure, on monetary issues.  You are unlikely to accept the Turkish Lire in payment for your wages in this country, easily bec

How to manufactured capital and natural capital, What two measures have bee...

What two measures have been developed in recent years that subtract for the depreciation of both manufactured capital and natural capital? The environmentally adjusted Net Dome

Perfectly competitive market, Perfectly Competitive Markets * Character...

Perfectly Competitive Markets * Characteristics of Perfectly Competitive Markets  1. Price taking  2. Product homogeneity  3. Free entry and exit * Price Taking

Simultaneous equation methods of forecasting, The economic model forecastin...

The economic model forecasting involves estimating several simultaneous equations which are generally behavioural equation mathematical identities and market clearing equations. T

Write Your Message!

Captcha
Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd