Functions of Regulatory Body
- Set standards through setting codes, by miscellaneous orders, by license conditions and by directions in tariff orders;
- Determine the tariff for supply, generation, transmission and wheeling of electricity, wholesale, bulk or retail, as the case might be, inside the state;
- Control electricity purchase and procurement procedure of distribution licensees involve the price at that electricity should be procured from the generating companies or licensees or from other sources;
- Facilitate intra-state wheeling and transmission of electricity;
- Issue licenses to persons searching to act as distribution licensees, transmission licensees and electricity traders along with respect to their operations within the state;
- Promote generation and cogeneration of electricity from renewable sources of energy by giving appropriate measures for connectivity along with the grid and sale of electricity to any person, and also indicate, for purchase of electricity from such sources, a percentage of the total consumption of electricity in the field of a distribution license;
- Adjudicate upon the disputes among the licensees and generating organization and to refer any dispute for arbitration;
- Specify codes such as the state grid code consistent along with the grid code for optimum scheduling and despatch of electricity in accordance within the contracts, disciplining grid operations, keeping accounts of the quantity of electricity transmitted and whole supervision and control over the transmission system; the electric supply code, which would deal along with recovery of charges, billing, payment and tampering, disconnection/restoration of supply, distress or damage to electrical plant, entry of distribution licensee, electric lines or meter, or any person acting on his/her behalf for disconnecting supply and erasing the meter; entry for replacing, altering or maintaining electric lines or electrical plant or meter; the distribution code (for distribution licensee) for the development, manages and operation of the distribution system and the code of practice on payment of bills;
- Specify whole performance standards for giving electricity supply services and promoting efficient use of electricity through consumers, except from taking all reasonable steps to ensure safe, economical and reliable supply of electricity;
- Specify or enforce standards within respect to quality, continuity and reliability of service through licensees as well as penalty on failing standards; (the compensation should be determined and be made within 90 days. Therefore, an opportunity would be provided to the licensee before permitting compensation).
- Set accounting standards for the licensee to follow the guidelines issued through the company law for maintenance of accounts, remaining of basic accounting records, comparison of stock, reconciliation of bank accounts, maintenance of works register, reconciliation of accounts associating to revenue, updating of interest payable to consumer and security;
- Set operational standards for the licensee for reduction of technical and commercial losses, maintenance of quality supply and consumer satisfaction index, improvement of collection, proper meter reading, billing and collection system, fault attendance system, reduction of power purchase cost through proper demand management and following merit order, completion of projects inside schedule, planning investment on priority and profitability basis, implementing a metering plan that is change of defective or new meters, non- functional meters, review of load, checking accuracy of the meters, computerization of billing records and billing, proper monitoring of arrears and disconnection of defaulting consumers (in that case the bill amount increases over the security amount), transparency good governance, in hr policies, work-force rationalization;
- Fix the trading margin within the intra-state trading of electricity, if considered, essential;
- Specify for the consumers a complaint handling system and consumer rights statement.
Posted Date: 2/2/2013 6:24:53 AM | Location : United States