Using the English gloss as a guide, indentify the morphemes in 1 - 12 below, and answer the questions that follow.
(1) kenu he looked (7) kenpa he looks
(2) sihku he laughed (8) sikpa he laughs
(3) wihtu he walked (9) witpa he walks
(4) ka?u he died (10) ka?pa he dies
(5) cihcu it tore (11) cicpa it tears
(6) sohsu it cooked (12) sospa it cooks
(2a.) Which morpheme indicates past tense?
(2b.) Which morpheme means 'he' or 'it'
(2c.) Are there allomorphs present? If so, state the conditions in which each form is used.
3. Provide a tree diagram for the following sentence:
Yesterday, the aggressive young hobbit slashed an orc through his helmet with his sword.
4. In the sentences that follow, find and list the following words and phrases
a. a noun modified by both an adjective phrase and a prepositional phrase.
b. a verb modified by both an adverb phrase and a prepositional phrase.
c. a sentence containing two modal constructions
d. a verb modified by a prepositional phrase which contains a noun phrase whose head
noun is also modified by a prepositional phrase.
e. a sentence with an adjective used as a noun.
i. Where did the time go this semester?
ii. The badly ripped jacket of his suit will be mended by a tailor presently.
iii. An aardvark must have a hard life because he has to eat ants for breakfast.
iv. The car was left at the entrance of the car park, blocking all the traffic.
v. The living shouldn't be afraid of the dead.
vi. She went to the shop to buy food for her wombat.
vii. In spite of his bad reputation, the aardvark is happy with his lot.