Hall and Lew (1998, p199) argue that,
Sustainable tourism represents a value orientation in which the management of tourism impacts takes precedence over market economics-although tension between the two is ever present.
In your text, Weaver (2006) explains why sustainable tourism has become institutionalized.
Using Weaver as a background, present an argument based on the quote by Hall and Lew above.
In this essay you are required to:
- Define and critically discuss the key concepts of 'sustainable tourism' and 'tourism impacts' ; 'market economics' 'values' ; and 'mass tourism' , with a focus on the notion of tourism for sustainable development
- As part of your argument you should critically discuss- The values and ethics involved in interpretations of the term 'sustainable tourism'; and the institutionalization of sustainability in all forms of tourism.
- Draw on Weaver (2006), Macbeth (2005), Hall and Lew (1998) and other relevant literature in the TOU000 Reader and current, peer reviewed, academic journal articles in the field of sustainable tourism to inform your answer. Use examples to support your discussion. Examples should be drawn from academic literature.
David Bruce Weaver's sustainable tourism book
You are also required to use the appropriate format for university essays. Your essay must include:
- An introduction, which introduces the topic, states the argument of the essay and states what points the essay will cover. (ie outlines the main points).
- A body which presents the main points of the essay (and builds the sustained argument)
- A conclusion, which restates the main argument.
- In-text referencing and a reference list- ***Chicago Referencing
In this essay, you are required to present in the 3rd person. You are also required to utilize suitable literature.
Your 'knowledge base'-the way you have explored and highlighted your understanding of the academic, peer reviewed tourism literature-will be key assessment criteria for this essay. Your own thoughts, ideas and opinions are extremely valuable and are not graded for the assignment. For this assignment you must use academic, peer reviewed journal articles and books for references. Web sites should only be used to highlight the industry application/understanding of sustainable tourism.