SailDublin Ferry provides ferries to mainland Britain, Europe and America. Having observed the success of Irish ferries and Stennaline online booking system; SailDublin ferry has decided to build an online system. This system should provide customers with the ability to book and cancel ferries online, to setup and change their user profile, to view their travel history, and to join the company's award program. Customers must use a credit card for all transactions on the site.
SECTION A: CURRENT SYSTEM
USE CASE DESCRIPTIONS
In order to book a ferry, a customer must first search for available ferry by making contact with the ferry sales personnel.
- When they have done this they must choose a ferry, and then make their booking by phone or in person.
- The sales persons requests relevant details regarding the booking i.e. out-date, return date, time of ferry, seat preference, no. of passengers, special requirements etc. The salesperson will check seat availability.
- When the customer has completed the booking steps. The salespersons requests payment by credit card for the ferry.
- On receipt of payment the Salesperson issues a receipt to the customer, this can be given in persons or posted to the customer. Ferry Tickets are also issued at this time.
- When a customer books a ferry they also have the option of purchasing travel insurance.
- If a customer has joined the awards program, once they have booked a ferry they are given sail miles which they can accumulate and use for free ferry when they have enough sail miles.
- They are issued a receipt which identifies how many sail miles they have accumulated every 3 months.
- To check on number of sail miles they must contact the ferry customer support service.
- In order to cancel a ferry a customer must contact the salesperson and submit their booking number.
- If the ferry is being cancelled 5 or more days before the departure date they pay no penalty, however if the cancellation is less then 5 days before the departure date they are required to pay a penalty using their credit card.
- If they have booked travel insurance they will be refunded also at this point, and the sail miles removed from their current total.
- All monies are refunded to the customer by way of credit card.
- Notification of cancellation is posted to the customer.
SECTION A: PROPOSED SYSTEM
The following description is based on an interview with SailDublin Managing Director and 2 Salespeople. They have identified what they would like the proposed Ferry Booking System to provide.
(1) Provide a 24x7 online service to the customer.
(2) The customer can browse ferry availability and make their own selections.
(3) A customer is not required to register with the site in order to make a booking.
(4) When a customer makes a selection and it is available, they can proceed and book the ferry. They are presented with the ferry details and they can confirm the booking. Once confirmed they will proceed to payment and submit their payment details. Once the transaction is completed the customer will receive an order number and ferry details which can be printed.
(5) Customers who have booked a ferry will be required to confirm their booking online prior to the sailing date. The customer can print off the booking confirmation at this stage and this document can be used for check-in purposes.
(6) Customers can register their details on the new system if they wish to become registered customers.
(7) Once a customer is registered they can update their profile and view their travelling history, and have the option of joining the awards program.
(8) When a customer logs into the site they will be shown their current air miles, and possible destination that they could use their air miles to travel to, and also any up and coming ferry that they have booked.
(9) A customer can view their travelling history.
(10) The company offers various ferries.
(11) A customer can book one or more ferry for different passengers.
(12) A booking concerns a single ferry and the single passenger that booked it (even if on behalf of a group of people).
(13) A booking can be cancelled or confirmed immediately. The customer will receive instant notification and refund.
(14) A ferry has a departure seaport and an arrival seaport.
(15) Each seaport serves one or more cities.
(16) The Salespeople will have administrative access to the new system. They can add new ferry details and update ferry details.
(17) The Managing Director can extract up-to-date reports on sales activity.
You will create a report format for your submission, which will comprise an introduction to your analysis work and will include all aspects of this phase of object oriented systems analysis. The report should comprise (Cover page, Table of contents, Introduction, Noun identification process, 3 class diagrams and one example of a data description and a CRC Card for The final Class Diagram).
- You are required to research online Booking systems to help you with this task. It is expected that you will identify some additional features that have not been considered in the use case descriptions presented to you by the Senior Systems Analyst. These additional features will add value to your system and will differentiate your system.
- You will produce THREE class diagrams:
1. A Class diagram for the CURRENT system based on the use case diagram/ descriptions provided in SECTION
2. A Class diagram for the PROPOSED system based on the interview transcript results provided in SECTION B.
3. The FINAL Class diagram which incorporates the best of the current system and the proposed system and THE additional functionality that you feel is relevant to an online booking system which has not been uncovered already in the current and proposed system analysis review. Original ideas required here.
- You must show all your workings using an appropriate methodology in order to identify the relevant classes for both the current and proposed system (Section A and Section B).
- The class diagrams should, where relevant include attributes, behaviours and relationships e.g. inheritance and associations (plain, aggregation, composition) and multiplicity and must conform to UML 2.0 notation standards.
- You are required to produce Powerpoint slides (max 7) which will focus ONLY on the new functional areas that you have identified and which will differentiate your SOLUTION from your competitors.